This letter is my opinion as a private citizen and is not meant to be representative of the School Board.
We are being asked to vote on a plan that will drastically update our aging elementary facilities and the safety and security of two other schools.
In my professional life, I am a banker responsible for helping businesses, nonprofits and municipalities with their cash flow and cash management needs, so I wanted to approach this from a fiscal side. From a financial perspective, there will likely never be a better time for this project.
Bond rates for financing are at a low period in recent history and very attractive - especially since our district maintains one of the best bond ratings available because of sound fiscal management.
The construction and trade industry are looking for work, so costs are low and bids are very competitive.
The School Board worked diligently to take a $65 million proposal, pull out the most urgent needs and brought forward a $39 million plan to address these needs. The district has also committed to utilizing $5 million of fund balance, or a rainy day fund, to lower the borrowing needs to $34 million.
Perhaps the best part is that we would be able to begin construction next summer, be in the schools by Sept. 1, 2012 and we would not see an increase to our tax bills to pay for this until December 2011.
Please join me in supporting our schools and our financial future Nov. 2. Vote "yes."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Plan could be presented Monday to battle scourge that has hit Little Muskego Lake
- Doggy donation event, police open house to be held May 9 in Milwaukee
- Animal blood bank in Greenfield needs more dog and cat donors to keep all pets healthy
- A 5K Fun Run/Walk and Wellness Fair will be held by the Muskego Area Chamber of Commerce May 2.
- New Berlin returns incumbents to school board
- Tornado watch in effect
- Muskego Area Chamber of Commerce honors pair of businesses
- Citizen Athlete: Functional Fitness for the Athlete in You opens in Muskego
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: April 9