Muskego's two oldest schools, where maintenance has been deferred, will get some catchup maintenance this year.
A school referendum that would have closed Muskego Elementary and Tess Corners Elementary failed last November. As a result, both schools will stay open for the foreseeable future, prompting the need for maintenance catchup. The only question is how much?
The Muskego-Norway School Board will decide that at its March 19 meeting at Lakeview Elementary School.
The projects would be unglamorous things like roof repair, tuckpointing and spot floor repairs. Although the schools also have heating problems, no HVAC work is proposed because that would involve some $3 million -more than school officials are willing to sink into them.
Overall, the schools in the district need $8.6 million of maintenance, officials estimate. Those projects will be prioritized and the board will approve whatever projects will fit into its $400,000 annual maintenance budget plus up to $2 million that could be taken out of fund balance over the next two years for more projects.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New Berlin accepts offers for two former school properties
- Cost of razing part of Muskego park building puts brakes on idea
- Waukesha Town Chairman John Marek battles car fire in Muskego
- New Berlin, Muskego students record noticeable gains in WKCE test scores
- Old weight room floor slated for fix
- New Berlin and Muskego schools viewed as among most challenging in nation: Rated as the most challenging
- Wine and beer will flow at a fund raiser for the Muskego Library
- New Berlin panel exploring options for affordable housing in New Berlin: Housing trust fund of $75,000 is available to reach goal
- New Berlin, Muskego officials ask Madison lawmakers for relief from stormwater tax
- Potential expansions for sports facailites at Muskego High School being examined by School Board