Two-term New Berlin Mayor Jack Chiovatero will face four challengers in his bid for a third term, with one of those challengers being a former mayor and another a current alderman.
Mary Claire Lanser, 14550 W. Meadowshire Drive, served as New Berlin mayor from 1993 to 1997. District 7 Alderman David Ament, 18330 W. Lynette Lane, is running both for mayor and unopposed for re-election as alderman.
If Ament is elected both mayor and alderman, the Common Council would likely appoint someone to serve as District 7 alderman until an election can be held in April 2014 for someone to finish the rest of the term, speculated City Clerk Kari Morgan. But she will confirm that if the need arises, she said.
Because five candidates are running for mayor, a primary election will be held Feb. 19. The top two vote-getters will go on to the spring election April 2.
Chiovatero, 3485 Long Acre Drive, was elected to his first four-year term as mayor in 2005 after serving as alderman for six years.
Filling out the slate of five mayoral candidates are Janet Schulz, 16020 W. St. Francis Drive, and Joseph Wieneke, 18200 W. Lynette Lane.
The mayor's pay is $88,900 annually.
Four aldermanic terms also will be up in April with incumbents running unopposed in three of them and newcomer Joseph Stribl, 15195 W. Harmony Drive, unopposed in District 5.
Incumbents besides Ament who are running are John Hopkins, 13221 W. Meadow Lane., District 1, and Ron Seidl, 17631 W. Westward Drive, District 3.
New Berlin municipal judge Joseph Dorlack is running unopposed for a third four-year term. The municipal judge receives $28,369 annually.
- Energy savings almost pay for new gym floor at Muskego High School
- Parkland Mall redevelopment ready to go ahead after getting sixth vote (1)
- Muskego Plan Commission recommends controversial Parkland apartments
- Former West Bend administrator waives right to hearing in Muskego case
- Former Green Bay Packer LeRoy Butler to be part of Muskego Jammin' on Janesville
- Former Packer LeRoy Butler to be part of Muskego Jammin' on Janesville
- Muskego Plan Commission to hold special meeting on Parkland Mall plan
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee
- Muskego aldermen declare positions on controversial Parkland Mall plan (3)
- Muskego Police Blotter: May 19, 2016