Chicken and waffles on a chip could be worth $1 million for Brookfield native
Flavor idea a hit in Frito-Lay competition
Some people enjoy the combination of chicken and waffles on a plate.
Christina Abu-Judom wants you to enjoy the combination on a chip.
The Brookfield native who now lives in Phoenix won $50,000 and a spot as a finalist in the Frito-Lay Do Us a Flavor contest last week.
"It's just something you don't ever think will happen to you," Abu-Judom said.
Her rival flavor contestants are a Wisconsin woman who came up with cheesy garlic bread chips and an Illinois man who submitted the idea for a spicy sriracha flavor, a hot sauce from Thailand.
A dozen submissions
She submitted more than 30 ideas, some less exotic, like basil, cucumber yogurt and spicy calamari.
"My nephew told me about the contest," Abu-Judom said. "I just started submitting combinations of things that I like to eat. I was having a ball."
But chicken and waffles was the winning pitch.
"My family loves chicken and waffles, so that's why I dedicated that combination to them," Abu-Judom said. "I stole a bite of my nephew's waffle once and he wouldn't let me live it down."
She said she videotaped telling her family the news.
"When I sat them down, they thought I was going to tell them I was pregnant," Abu-Judom laughed. "When I told them the news they were so excited, screaming and everything."
Abu-Judom grew up in Brookfield. She graduated from Brookfield East High School.
"I'm a Spartans girl at heart," she said. "I was so fortunate to grow up in Brookfield."
After graduating from the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, Abu-Judom worked for the Girl Scouts of Milwaukee for five years before moving to Phoenix.
Abu-Judom's and the other finalists' creations already are on store shelves.
When the chips fall, she hopes to take the $1 million prize with her.
How to vote
Votes are counted on three platforms: Lay's Facebook page at Facebook.com/Lays; Twitter, by using hashtag #SaveGarlicBread, #SaveChickenWaffles or #SaveSriracha; or by texting "VOTE" to 24477.
Voting ends May 4.
The grand-prize winner wins $1 million dollars or one percent of their chip's 2013 net sales, whichever is greater.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Muskego's Jammin' on Janesville set for Aug.7
- Muskego Common Council reopens one boat launch, keeps two more open
- Muskego explores a request for finance help to redevelop the former Parkland Mall
- Condos, stores may come to former Parkland Mall site in Muskego
- Muskego may expand drug testing to students with parking permits (1)
- Parking permit-holders might be drug tested at Muskego High School (1)
- Big Muskego Lake officials may request grant for stonewort fight
- Officials focus on stopping spread of starry stonewort rather than removing it
- Little Muskego Lake fighting starry stonewort on many fronts
- Residents say dam on creek in Muskego is 'jewel' and to leave it alone (2)