The hefty question on how to solve Muskego High School's weight room floor dilemma has been reduced to two options.
The Muskego-Norway School Board was told Monday that strengthening the floor to make it usable as a weight room again could cost $200,000 to $330,000, while building an addition for a new expanded weight room somewhere near the Salentine gym would cost roughly $1.2 million, according to rough estimates.
That latter option also includes fixing the old weight room floor so that regular classes can be held there.
The issue arose when it was discovered that the space that until recently was used as a weight room had a floor that was too weak to hold up the heavy equipment. As a result, the weight room was moved to a smaller temporary room with no classrooms or hallways beneath it.
Although strengthening the weight room floor is less expensive, the ceiling is low in a portion of the room, making it hard for tall athletes to train on some equipment, Jeremiah Johnson, supervisor of buildings and grounds, told the School Board.
But the cost of an addition troubled board members. "It seems high," said School Board President Jim Schaefer.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Muskego's Jammin' on Janesville set for Aug. 7
- Muskego Common Council reopens one boat launch, keeps two more open
- Muskego explores a request for finance help to redevelop the former Parkland Mall
- Condos, stores may come to former Parkland Mall site in Muskego
- Muskego may expand drug testing to students with parking permits (1)
- Parking permit-holders might be drug tested at Muskego High School (1)
- Big Muskego Lake officials may request grant for stonewort fight
- Officials focus on stopping spread of starry stonewort rather than removing it
- Little Muskego Lake fighting starry stonewort on many fronts
- Residents say dam on creek in Muskego is 'jewel' and to leave it alone (2)