The pedestrian who died after being struck by a vehicle on Interstate 43 about 5:30 a.m. Saturday has now been identified by the Waukesha County Sheriff's Department as Denise Merkel, 54, of the Sussex area.
Although the Sheriff's Department continues to investigate the incident, a news release from the department said authorities believe that Merkel walked across the traffic lane after pulling her disabled vehicle to the outside shoulder of I-43.
The accident happened on southbound I-43 about 1.1 miles south of Racine Avenue in New Berlin. Merkel was pronounced dead at the scene. Southbound I-43 was closed for about an hour.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Muskego-Norway board to discuss potential $55 million referendum
- Archbishop coming to Muskego area to install priest Dec. 6
- Muskego-Norway explores establishing alumni association
- Muskego schools may expand high school credit for middle schoolers
- Muskego schools approve 1.62 percent raises for nonteachers
- Muskego Country Christmas coming Saturday to bring holiday magic
- Young hands, old history combine for colorful mosaic of Muskego life
- Muskego's Lakepoint Church to hold grand opening in 1st permanent home
- First homesite reserved in Muskego Beach Club lakeside development (1)
- Referendum still the $55 million question for Muskego-Norway schools