The pedestrian who died after being struck by a vehicle on Interstate 43 about 5:30 a.m. Saturday has now been identified by the Waukesha County Sheriff's Department as Denise Merkel, 54, of the Sussex area.
Although the Sheriff's Department continues to investigate the incident, a news release from the department said authorities believe that Merkel walked across the traffic lane after pulling her disabled vehicle to the outside shoulder of I-43.
The accident happened on southbound I-43 about 1.1 miles south of Racine Avenue in New Berlin. Merkel was pronounced dead at the scene. Southbound I-43 was closed for about an hour.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New Berlin accepts offers for two former school properties
- Cost of razing part of Muskego park building puts brakes on idea
- Waukesha Town Chairman John Marek battles car fire in Muskego
- New Berlin, Muskego students record noticeable gains in WKCE test scores
- Old weight room floor slated for fix
- New Berlin and Muskego schools viewed as among most challenging in nation: Rated as the most challenging
- Wine and beer will flow at a fund raiser for the Muskego Library
- New Berlin panel exploring options for affordable housing in New Berlin: Housing trust fund of $75,000 is available to reach goal
- New Berlin, Muskego officials ask Madison lawmakers for relief from stormwater tax
- Potential expansions for sports facailites at Muskego High School being examined by School Board