One meet after dethroning last year's gymnastics darling, the Franklin/Muskego/Oak Creek/Whitnall team came up short despite posting an even better score against this year's top standout, Burlington/Lake Geneva Badger/Wilmot.
The latter squad, considered the best in the area following defending state champion Waukesha's defeat at the hands of the former last week, won by a 141.375-139.95 margin.
"They're a seasoned team and they do some nice things," coach John Biltz said of Burlington.
Chrissy Scaffidi of Oak Creek had another exceptional showing, winning the all-around with her score of 36.425 and taking first place in the vault in 9.05 and on the balance beam with a 9.075. Amy Jo Garinger of Muskego won the bars with a 9.4.
"It's not really a technically difficult routine, but it was clean as heck, and that's what high school-level judges really judge," Biltz said of Garinger. "The girls you see going into the 9s on everything but vault are usually doing some pretty difficult skills. Their starting routine values are probably a 10, whereas the girls scoring in the middle-8s don't have those difficult skills in their routine.
"As a team, we could very easily find that one or two points that we lost by, but Burlington could probably find that much, too."
The squad will return to action Saturday, Jan. 6, at Westosha Central. Biltz said his team was only getting better.
"Some of these girls have not been working out all year long so there's kind of a preparation curve," he said. "The more time they're up on the equipment, the better they're going to be in competition.
"I think we're real happy with the start. It's been a few years since we were able to hang a number up like that."
- Local lake districts, statewide programs persist in battle against invasive species
- Muskego Police blotter: June 30, 2016
- Low bid way under estimate for Muskego's North Cape Road rec trail
- Muskego police to offer citizens academy in the fall
- Muskego neighbors: adding parking not a solution to Kurth Park problem
- Muskego survey shows support for splash pad, Frisbee golf, ice skating
- Muskego Police report: June 23, 2016
- Community calendar: June 23, 2016
- Muskego shelves one recreation trail, gets bargain on another
- Things to Do in New Berlin and Muskego