Muskego - A desire to brighten the far eastern end of Janesville Road with more street lights and to make it more walker-friendly by installing three more crosswalks withered when the estimated cost turned out to be $118,900.
The Community Development Authority had hoped to tack a few more street lights and crosswalks onto the landscaping plans for Janesville Road. But as it turned out, that would be much more than the estimated $72,500 landscaping plan cost that projects abundant landscaping in the boulevards along Janesville Road from Moorland Road to College Ave.
Officials said they hope there will be enough money left over from the city's part of the Janesville Road widening project to cover the landscaping cost, said Jeff Muenkel, community development director.
So, the landscaping plan alone is to go to the Muskego Common Council. The plan tries to reflect the landscaping already planned for the downtown and other parts of Janesville Road, Muenkel said.
Currently, the street lights would stop at St. Paul's Lutheran Church, W14325 Janesville Road, a little more than half the distance from Moorland to College. City officials looked into extending lights in the median to College Ave. But that additional cost came to an estimated $79,000.
Adding three new crosswalks would have tacked $40,000 onto the tab, officials estimated.
Adding landscaping to the terraces between the curb and sidewalk also was considered. But Muenkel said that would be a maintenance nightmare with the terraces being only 3 to 4.5 feet wide. He doubted that Waukesha County would agree to it, anyway.
- Jane Ford-Stewart
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Another call to restrict boat traffic on Little Muskego Lake
- Wind Lake residents want Little Muskego Lake closed to boating to halt spread of invasive Stonewort
- GoPro video: Watch divers take on invasive algae in Little Muskego Lake (1)
- Scuba divers begin to battle invasive lake killer in Little Muskego Lake
- Driver accused in bicyclists deaths in Muskego released on bail
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: June 25
- Muskego Police hold pet calendar contest
- South Milwaukee man charged in deaths of two bicyclists in Muskego
- Lake Denoon Middle School up for $20,000 grant, but needs support
- New summer school classes brings in Muskego-Norway students