Young chess masters
Muskego - The Muskego High School chess team took the conference championship with a victory over Kewaskum High School to advance its varsity record to a 8-0 in conference matches.
In addition, the Muskego junior varsity chess team went 6-2 to finish in second place.
This was Muskego's first year in the conference, and it is the youngest team, consisting of nine freshmen and four students from Lake Denoon Middle School.
Other teams in the conference include New Berlin Eisenhower and West, Brookfield Academy, Arrowhead, Fond du Lac St. Mary's, Hartland, Kewaskum and St. John's Academy.
Muskego - Mayor Kathy Chiaverotti addressed about 60 guests on city improvements and economic development at the Muskego Area Chamber of Commerce breakfast meeting last week.
Providing a brief recap of 2012, Chiaverotti noted projects that included Phase I of Janesville Road reconstruction, Tess Corners Drive with a recreation trail along it, Pioneer Drive with a trail, and Woods Road with a trail. The city also completed a software upgrade and development of a new city website.
Contracting out the building inspection services netted a savings of about $100,000, Chiaverotti said, which will be realized each year going forward. She also pointed to what she views as successful police union negotiations that resulted in police agreeing to contribute to the state pension fund.
Regarding economic development, there were 55 new home starts and 30 commercial permits issued in 2012, Chiaverotti said. Both are up from previous years, with commercial permits up substantially, adding about $3.7 million in new property value.
Comparable communities typically have 80 percent of the tax base in residential property and 20 percent commercial, she noted. Muskego has been in the area of 8 to 10 percent commercial for many years, but is now at 12.3 percent.
And new developments are in the works that city officials hope to announce soon, Chiaverotti said.
- In brief: arson, memory, taxes
- In brief: Robery, farmers market, assembly seat
- In brief: Muskego Beach Club, sock drive
- In brief: Spelling ace and geo bee
- In brief: Forums, scam, fatal crash, state title
- In brief: vandalism, electronics recycling
- In brief: church dedication, plant survey, trick or teat
- New Berlin West plans five years' worth of reunions
- In brief: Police memorial, school benefits, Muskego girl
- News & Notes: July 23, 2015
- In Brief: Church, football and Moorland Road
- In brief: grand openning, Brownies
- Muskego and New Berlin briefs
- News and Notes: Nov.13
- New Berlin and Muskego News and Notes: Nov. 6
- News & Notes: July 24, 2014