A direct legislation petition circulated by opponents of a lake park plan in Muskego may have enough signatures by next week to force a public referendum on whether the city should purchase two key properties.
The city is working to develop a park along Little Muskego Lake near Pioneer Drive and Janesville Road. Despite the fact that the Common Council this week authorized the city to purchase the properties for $3.5 million, opponents believe the plan, if brought before the public, would be defeated in a vote by Muskego residents.
"You need to let the people decide this," Lorie Oliver, petition drive organizer, said today.
Oliver said a concentrated effort will be launched this weekend involving a door-to-door campaign as well as a petition signing station, in a space that used to be a floral business in the 17000 block of West Janesville Road, both Saturday and Sunday.
"I'm very comfortable saying we'll have the signatures we need," she said.
As of Friday afternoon, park plan opponents had gathered nearly 1,000 signatures in since Jan. 20, Oliver said. They are shooting for 2,100 signatures.
There is a sense of urgency because the Common Council has started the ball rolling toward closings on the two properties, she said. "That's why we need to get this done," she said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Battle begins against lake-killing stonewort in Little Muskego Lake
- Muskego-Norway School Board reviews extensive school reorganization
- School closings, additions proposed to Muskego-Norway School Board
- Alleged rampage results in charges against Muskego woman (3)
- Muskego and New Berlin community calendar: April 30 issue
- Muskego Senior Taxi revving up for Cruz-N-Taste fundraiser
- Participants needed for Relay for Life, May 29-30 in Germantown
- Muskego-Norway School District honors three with compass awards
- Plan could be presented Monday to battle scourge that has hit Little Muskego Lake