A direct legislation petition circulated by opponents of a lake park plan in Muskego may have enough signatures by next week to force a public referendum on whether the city should purchase two key properties.
The city is working to develop a park along Little Muskego Lake near Pioneer Drive and Janesville Road. Despite the fact that the Common Council this week authorized the city to purchase the properties for $3.5 million, opponents believe the plan, if brought before the public, would be defeated in a vote by Muskego residents.
"You need to let the people decide this," Lorie Oliver, petition drive organizer, said today.
Oliver said a concentrated effort will be launched this weekend involving a door-to-door campaign as well as a petition signing station, in a space that used to be a floral business in the 17000 block of West Janesville Road, both Saturday and Sunday.
"I'm very comfortable saying we'll have the signatures we need," she said.
As of Friday afternoon, park plan opponents had gathered nearly 1,000 signatures in since Jan. 20, Oliver said. They are shooting for 2,100 signatures.
There is a sense of urgency because the Common Council has started the ball rolling toward closings on the two properties, she said. "That's why we need to get this done," she said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Muskego-Norway School District to move middle school start time back
- Muskego-Norway School District to expand use of photo badges
- Aquatic experts gather to devise battle plan for new pest found in Little Muskego Lake
- The musical "Catch Me If You Can" will be staged at Muskego High School
- Updated: Interim appointed after New Berlin West boys basketball coach arrested for pot (1)
- Milwaukee man accused of sexually assaulting 15-year-old Muskego girl
- Muskego reduces times, days for private fireworks
- Muskego blaze that destroyed a building Monday started between floors
- Muskego High School marching band heads to New Orleans
- Wauwatosa committee denies funding request to accelerate Innovation Campus hotel