Muskego - A new cemetery, long identified as a need locally, has been proposed for 16 to 17 acres in the city's northeast corner.
The plan for W14105 Tess Corners Drive involves two distinct elements - one containing a reception area, offices, bathrooms, community room, two chapels and a crematorium, and the other accommodating approximately 3,200 burial plots.
The site would also include one indoor and seven outdoor mausoleums with niches and crypts, veterans section, paved central road, crushed stone walking trails, a natural pond with sitting park and a pet burial section.
To be called Parkside Memorial, the cemetery would in fact be memorial in nature, meaning it would not have aboveground markers, and nondenominational, open to all faiths.
The proposal comes from Mark Kosobucki, who is tied to three Muskego developments - Golden Country Estates, Foxboro and Foxboro North - as well as Golden Bay and Golden Meadows, both in Tichigan.
The city's 1992 Comprehensive Plan recognized that the city needs a cemetery in addition to the two church cemeteries in Muskego. The most recent 2020 Comprehensive Plan notes that some residents thought a new cemetery may be needed, based on a planning survey.
First, the Muskego Plan Commission, which was to discuss the concept Tuesday after press deadline, must address several issues tied to cemetery developments.
The proposal would require a zoning change, from residential to institutional. Also, planners must make sure the cemetery meets certain state requirements, such as a minimum standard of 20 acres (which the city could vary with Common Council approval) and a minimum distance of 3,300 feet from any occupied home.
The city also will have to consider whether a maintenance fund must be established to ensure the continued care of the cemetery property.
- Jane Ford-Stewart
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Muskego man charged with sexually assaulting 12-year-old Waukesha girl
- Nov. 4 poll visits a right of fall
- Muskego's 50th anniversary celebration lives on
- Muskego wraps up 50th anniversary celebration
- 'Hot' new Suburban Bourbon hits Muskego
- Election 2014: State Assembly District 83 Voter's Guide
- Muskego alum shows cooking skills to 400
- Muskego to allow chickens on residential lots
- Controversial lake home/condo project back to Muskego Plan Commission
- Lake homes/condos fail to win Muskego Plan Commission recommendation