Muskego - Muskego has hired an outside law firm to provide legal advice to the city concerning any issue tied to the recall efforts against Mayor Kathy Chiaverotti and aldermen Keith Werner and Neome Schaumberg.
Last week, the Common Council selected Maistelman & Associates, which assisted Muskego several years ago when then-Mayor Charles Damaske was involved in a recall election in 2006.
The reason for outside help is that the law firm that normally provides city attorney services - Arenz, Molter, Macy, Riffle & Larson - to Muskego notified officials that it would appear to be a conflict of interest if the firm provided assistance to the city clerk on recall issues.
Maistelman & Associates will charge the same as the city's regular legal firm. City officials expect only minimal expenses.
The law firm and city officials made it clear that the firm would give no legal advice to the three officials targeted by the recall efforts.
To avoid any appearance of impropriety, Werner and Schaumberg abstained from voting to hire the outside law firm.
- Jane Ford-Stewart
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Muskego-Norway School District to move middle school start time back
- Muskego-Norway School District to expand use of photo badges
- Aquatic experts gather to devise battle plan for new pest found in Little Muskego Lake
- The musical "Catch Me If You Can" will be staged at Muskego High School
- Updated: Interim appointed after New Berlin West boys basketball coach arrested for pot (1)
- Milwaukee man accused of sexually assaulting 15-year-old Muskego girl
- Muskego reduces times, days for private fireworks
- Muskego blaze that destroyed a building Monday started between floors
- Muskego High School marching band heads to New Orleans
- Wauwatosa committee denies funding request to accelerate Innovation Campus hotel