Muskego - Muskego has hired an outside law firm to provide legal advice to the city concerning any issue tied to the recall efforts against Mayor Kathy Chiaverotti and aldermen Keith Werner and Neome Schaumberg.
Last week, the Common Council selected Maistelman & Associates, which assisted Muskego several years ago when then-Mayor Charles Damaske was involved in a recall election in 2006.
The reason for outside help is that the law firm that normally provides city attorney services - Arenz, Molter, Macy, Riffle & Larson - to Muskego notified officials that it would appear to be a conflict of interest if the firm provided assistance to the city clerk on recall issues.
Maistelman & Associates will charge the same as the city's regular legal firm. City officials expect only minimal expenses.
The law firm and city officials made it clear that the firm would give no legal advice to the three officials targeted by the recall efforts.
To avoid any appearance of impropriety, Werner and Schaumberg abstained from voting to hire the outside law firm.
- Jane Ford-Stewart
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Candidates tackle issues of growth and development in Muskego's 4th District aldermanic race
- In brief: grand openning, Brownies
- Muskego-Norway assistant superintendent chooses return to classroom
- Principal named for Muskego High School
- Desserts bridge cultural gaps among exhange students in Muskego
- A new chocolate shop in Muskego finds early sweet success
- Community calendar: March 12, 2015
- Muskego officials updated on potential closing of popular boat launch
- Muskego may close popular Little Muskego Lake boat launch