Muskego - Muskego has hired an outside law firm to provide legal advice to the city concerning any issue tied to the recall efforts against Mayor Kathy Chiaverotti and aldermen Keith Werner and Neome Schaumberg.
Last week, the Common Council selected Maistelman & Associates, which assisted Muskego several years ago when then-Mayor Charles Damaske was involved in a recall election in 2006.
The reason for outside help is that the law firm that normally provides city attorney services - Arenz, Molter, Macy, Riffle & Larson - to Muskego notified officials that it would appear to be a conflict of interest if the firm provided assistance to the city clerk on recall issues.
Maistelman & Associates will charge the same as the city's regular legal firm. City officials expect only minimal expenses.
The law firm and city officials made it clear that the firm would give no legal advice to the three officials targeted by the recall efforts.
To avoid any appearance of impropriety, Werner and Schaumberg abstained from voting to hire the outside law firm.
- Jane Ford-Stewart
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Senior taxi ridership drops as elderly users pass away; program in search of new passengers
- New Berlin and Muskego police reports: August 14, 2014 issue
- Charity event to feature fashion in Muskego
- Musekgo High School employs sex offender security system
- Upcoming annual Muskego Community Festival will be a highflying event.
- Muskego Plan Commission shuns changes for lake homes, senior condos
- Retired Muskego High School principal will serve as interim replacement for Ryan Oertel
- Muskego-Norway School District chooses former principal for interim job
- Little Muskego Lake installs lighted buoys
- Muskego High School principal resigns