Muskego - Muskego has hired an outside law firm to provide legal advice to the city concerning any issue tied to the recall efforts against Mayor Kathy Chiaverotti and aldermen Keith Werner and Neome Schaumberg.
Last week, the Common Council selected Maistelman & Associates, which assisted Muskego several years ago when then-Mayor Charles Damaske was involved in a recall election in 2006.
The reason for outside help is that the law firm that normally provides city attorney services - Arenz, Molter, Macy, Riffle & Larson - to Muskego notified officials that it would appear to be a conflict of interest if the firm provided assistance to the city clerk on recall issues.
Maistelman & Associates will charge the same as the city's regular legal firm. City officials expect only minimal expenses.
The law firm and city officials made it clear that the firm would give no legal advice to the three officials targeted by the recall efforts.
To avoid any appearance of impropriety, Werner and Schaumberg abstained from voting to hire the outside law firm.
- Jane Ford-Stewart
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha Town Chairman John Marek battles car fire in Muskego
- New Berlin, Muskego students record noticeable gains in WKCE test scores
- Old weight room floor slated for fix
- New Berlin and Muskego schools viewed as among most challenging in nation: Rated as the most challenging
- Wine and beer will flow at a fund raiser for the Muskego Library
- New Berlin panel exploring options for affordable housing in New Berlin: Housing trust fund of $75,000 is available to reach goal
- New Berlin, Muskego officials ask Madison lawmakers for relief from stormwater tax
- Potential expansions for sports facailites at Muskego High School being examined by School Board
- Chiaverotti captures second term in Muskego mayoral race
- Random drug testing still topic of debate