Tired of 18 months of doors being slammed in its face, the Muskego Common Council on Tuesday approved an ordinance requiring all 911 emergency cellphone calls originating in Muskego to go to the Muskego dispatch center.
Currently, landline 911 calls go to local dispatchers, but cellphone 911 calls are answered by dispatchers at the Waukesha County Communications Center, which transfers them to Muskego. The city wants to answer all locally originated 911 to speed up response time that can be critical in medical situations.
However, the WCC officials maintain that they do a better job and refuse to agree to the switchover.
The city appealed to the Wisconsin Public Service Commission that said the two dispatch centers should work it out. But WCC has been unwilling to meet with Muskego, said Muskego Police Chief Paul Geiszler.
So, Muskego simply passed an ordinance ordering the switchover. Companies that have cellphone towers in Muskego will be notified. Geiszler said the company officials he has already contacted say they are perfectly happy to switch, if they are ordered to do so.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Muskego-Norway District one of only three Wisconsin districts to lower levy for five years (2)
- Lots of people attend Moorland Road in Muskego project meeting, few criticisms (2)
- Two more charged in connection with Muskego Petro Mart armed robbery
- Muskego police arrest house burglary suspects; cremated remains of son were not recovered
- Muskego-Norway School Board approves holding a $43.2 million referendum on April 5
- Aldermen favor going ahead with new Muskego City Hall, police station
- Muskego police searching for explorer recruits
- Evers nominates Muskego Elementary School for Blue Ribbon award
- Muskego man, 27, faces armed robbery charge connected to gas station hold up
- Plans for new Muskego city hall, police station appear to win favor