Muskego - Country Meadows Elementary School in the Muskego-Norway School District is one of five Wisconsin schools that Tony Evers, state superintendent of public instruction, nominated for the National Blue Ribbon Schools award program.
The program recognizes overall academic excellence or progress in improving student achievement.
The other nominees are Grafton Elementary School in the Grafton School District; Kohler High School in the Kohler School District; Ridgeway Elementary School in the Dodgeville School District; and Suamico Elementary School in the Howard Suamico School District.
The Blue Ribbon Schools Program began in 1982 and has recognized nearly 7,000 of America's schools over the years. Selection criteria require schools to have met adequate yearly progress targets in 2010-11 and annual measurable objectives for the 2011-12 and 2012-13 school years.
Awards will be given in two categories. "Exemplary High Performing Schools" are those that are in the top 15 percent in performance on the state's reading and mathematics assessments and have no student groups lagging behind. "Exemplary Improving Schools" have at least 40 percent of students from disadvantaged backgrounds and have made the most progress in improving student achievement on state assessments.
The winners are typically announced in early September.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Weekly Planner: April 2
- A "Shop Second Saturdays" drive is being started by the Muskego Area Chamber of Commerce and Tourism
- Candidates tackle issues of growth and development in Muskego's 4th District aldermanic race
- In brief: grand openning, Brownies
- Muskego-Norway assistant superintendent chooses return to classroom
- Principal named for Muskego High School
- Desserts bridge cultural gaps among exhange students in Muskego
- A new chocolate shop in Muskego finds early sweet success
- Community calendar: March 12, 2015