Muskego - Country Meadows Elementary School in the Muskego-Norway School District is one of five Wisconsin schools that Tony Evers, state superintendent of public instruction, nominated for the National Blue Ribbon Schools award program.
The program recognizes overall academic excellence or progress in improving student achievement.
The other nominees are Grafton Elementary School in the Grafton School District; Kohler High School in the Kohler School District; Ridgeway Elementary School in the Dodgeville School District; and Suamico Elementary School in the Howard Suamico School District.
The Blue Ribbon Schools Program began in 1982 and has recognized nearly 7,000 of America's schools over the years. Selection criteria require schools to have met adequate yearly progress targets in 2010-11 and annual measurable objectives for the 2011-12 and 2012-13 school years.
Awards will be given in two categories. "Exemplary High Performing Schools" are those that are in the top 15 percent in performance on the state's reading and mathematics assessments and have no student groups lagging behind. "Exemplary Improving Schools" have at least 40 percent of students from disadvantaged backgrounds and have made the most progress in improving student achievement on state assessments.
The winners are typically announced in early September.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Muskego-Norway School District to move middle school start time back
- Muskego-Norway School District to expand use of photo badges
- Aquatic experts gather to devise battle plan for new pest found in Little Muskego Lake
- The musical "Catch Me If You Can" will be staged at Muskego High School
- Updated: Interim appointed after New Berlin West boys basketball coach arrested for pot (1)
- Milwaukee man accused of sexually assaulting 15-year-old Muskego girl
- Muskego reduces times, days for private fireworks
- Muskego blaze that destroyed a building Monday started between floors
- Muskego High School marching band heads to New Orleans
- Wauwatosa committee denies funding request to accelerate Innovation Campus hotel