Muskego - Country Meadows Elementary School in the Muskego-Norway School District is one of five Wisconsin schools that Tony Evers, state superintendent of public instruction, nominated for the National Blue Ribbon Schools award program.
The program recognizes overall academic excellence or progress in improving student achievement.
The other nominees are Grafton Elementary School in the Grafton School District; Kohler High School in the Kohler School District; Ridgeway Elementary School in the Dodgeville School District; and Suamico Elementary School in the Howard Suamico School District.
The Blue Ribbon Schools Program began in 1982 and has recognized nearly 7,000 of America's schools over the years. Selection criteria require schools to have met adequate yearly progress targets in 2010-11 and annual measurable objectives for the 2011-12 and 2012-13 school years.
Awards will be given in two categories. "Exemplary High Performing Schools" are those that are in the top 15 percent in performance on the state's reading and mathematics assessments and have no student groups lagging behind. "Exemplary Improving Schools" have at least 40 percent of students from disadvantaged backgrounds and have made the most progress in improving student achievement on state assessments.
The winners are typically announced in early September.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Muskego Police report: Feb. 11
- Muskego-Norway District one of only three Wisconsin districts to lower levy for five years (2)
- Lots of people attend Moorland Road in Muskego project meeting, few criticisms (2)
- Two more charged in connection with Muskego Petro Mart armed robbery
- Muskego police arrest house burglary suspects; cremated remains of son were not recovered
- Muskego-Norway School Board approves holding a $43.2 million referendum on April 5
- Aldermen favor going ahead with new Muskego City Hall, police station
- Muskego police searching for explorer recruits
- Evers nominates Muskego Elementary School for Blue Ribbon award
- Muskego man, 27, faces armed robbery charge connected to gas station hold up