Muskego - Country Meadows Elementary School in the Muskego-Norway School District is one of five Wisconsin schools that Tony Evers, state superintendent of public instruction, nominated for the National Blue Ribbon Schools award program.
The program recognizes overall academic excellence or progress in improving student achievement.
The other nominees are Grafton Elementary School in the Grafton School District; Kohler High School in the Kohler School District; Ridgeway Elementary School in the Dodgeville School District; and Suamico Elementary School in the Howard Suamico School District.
The Blue Ribbon Schools Program began in 1982 and has recognized nearly 7,000 of America's schools over the years. Selection criteria require schools to have met adequate yearly progress targets in 2010-11 and annual measurable objectives for the 2011-12 and 2012-13 school years.
Awards will be given in two categories. "Exemplary High Performing Schools" are those that are in the top 15 percent in performance on the state's reading and mathematics assessments and have no student groups lagging behind. "Exemplary Improving Schools" have at least 40 percent of students from disadvantaged backgrounds and have made the most progress in improving student achievement on state assessments.
The winners are typically announced in early September.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Plan could be presented Monday to battle scourge that has hit Little Muskego Lake
- Doggy donation event, police open house to be held May 9 in Milwaukee
- Animal blood bank in Greenfield needs more dog and cat donors to keep all pets healthy
- A 5K Fun Run/Walk and Wellness Fair will be held by the Muskego Area Chamber of Commerce May 2.
- New Berlin returns incumbents to school board
- Tornado watch in effect
- Muskego Area Chamber of Commerce honors pair of businesses
- Citizen Athlete: Functional Fitness for the Athlete in You opens in Muskego
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: April 9