Muskego - A comfortable and welcoming trio consisting of a bench, a flower planter and a decorative waste receptacle will soon beautify two intersections in the heart of Muskego, thanks to a $12,000 Muskego Woman's Club donation.
Two of the groupings will be installed on Janesville Road at Parkland Drive this spring and two more will go in next year at Lannon Drive and Janesville.
With the reconstruction of Janesville Road in progress, the club asked the city if there was anything it could do to help beautify the thoroughfare, said Dena Squaires, Woman's Club president.
"We're interested in anything that benefits the community," she said.
The city had already picked out benches and waste receptacles decorated with silhouettes of grasses that soften the edges of lakes, particularly appropriate for a community that sees itself as a city of lakes.
But the Woman's Club wanted an even better enhancement, said Muskego Mayor Kathy Chiaverotti. The city suggested planters; the club loved the idea.
Chiaverotti applauded the club's action, saying the trios of benches, planters and receptacles will be at two very visible intersections. When the flowers are blooming, the whole scene will be enjoyed by motorists and bicyclists who pause at the traffic lights, she said.
"It will be a welcoming and attractive look," Chiaverotti said. "I think it's a really wonderful touch."
"We're thrilled to be able to help," Squaires said.
City officials said they hope other community organizations will take the Woman's Club's lead and help make Janesville Road more attractive, said Jeff Muenkel, director of community development.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Another call to restrict boat traffic on Little Muskego Lake
- Wind Lake residents want Little Muskego Lake closed to boating to halt spread of invasive Stonewort
- GoPro video: Watch divers take on invasive algae in Little Muskego Lake (1)
- Scuba divers begin to battle invasive lake killer in Little Muskego Lake
- Driver accused in bicyclists deaths in Muskego released on bail
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: June 25
- Muskego Police hold pet calendar contest
- South Milwaukee man charged in deaths of two bicyclists in Muskego
- Lake Denoon Middle School up for $20,000 grant, but needs support
- New summer school classes brings in Muskego-Norway students