Muskego - A comfortable and welcoming trio consisting of a bench, a flower planter and a decorative waste receptacle will soon beautify two intersections in the heart of Muskego, thanks to a $12,000 Muskego Woman's Club donation.
Two of the groupings will be installed on Janesville Road at Parkland Drive this spring and two more will go in next year at Lannon Drive and Janesville.
With the reconstruction of Janesville Road in progress, the club asked the city if there was anything it could do to help beautify the thoroughfare, said Dena Squaires, Woman's Club president.
"We're interested in anything that benefits the community," she said.
The city had already picked out benches and waste receptacles decorated with silhouettes of grasses that soften the edges of lakes, particularly appropriate for a community that sees itself as a city of lakes.
But the Woman's Club wanted an even better enhancement, said Muskego Mayor Kathy Chiaverotti. The city suggested planters; the club loved the idea.
Chiaverotti applauded the club's action, saying the trios of benches, planters and receptacles will be at two very visible intersections. When the flowers are blooming, the whole scene will be enjoyed by motorists and bicyclists who pause at the traffic lights, she said.
"It will be a welcoming and attractive look," Chiaverotti said. "I think it's a really wonderful touch."
"We're thrilled to be able to help," Squaires said.
City officials said they hope other community organizations will take the Woman's Club's lead and help make Janesville Road more attractive, said Jeff Muenkel, director of community development.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Candidates tackle issues of growth and development in Muskego's 4th District aldermanic race
- In brief: grand openning, Brownies
- Muskego-Norway assistant superintendent chooses return to classroom
- Principal named for Muskego High School
- Desserts bridge cultural gaps among exhange students in Muskego
- A new chocolate shop in Muskego finds early sweet success
- Community calendar: March 12, 2015
- Muskego officials updated on potential closing of popular boat launch
- Muskego may close popular Little Muskego Lake boat launch