Preliminary schools budget has 2.65 percent levy hike
New Berlin - A preliminary budget for 2012-13 that would increase the school property tax levy 2.65 percent with no staff or program cuts was approved by the New Berlin School Board last week and is now headed to the district annual meeting Sept. 24.
The preliminary spending plan of $64.6 million is actually down 0.44 percent from the 2011-12 budget. Even so, the proposed levy would rise 2.65 percent mainly because state aid will go down about $1 million.
Another reason for the increase is that the district and teachers had not settled on pay for last year until now. Next year's budget will include a 1.64 percent increase for 2011-12 plus more money for raises in 2012-13.
The proposed budget more than doubles the building maintenance budget, adding $450,000 to the normal $400,000. That area has been under-funded for many years, said Roger Dickson, chief financial officer.
Although the proposed budget calls for a 2.65 percent property tax levy increase, School Board member Art Marquardt said that if the district doesn't spend at the proposed level, it will lose state aid for every dollar it cuts in spending.
"I can't see leaving money on the table for other districts," Marquardt said.
Mom, daughters hope to be in 60-mile walk
Muskego - Muskego residents Heather Miller and her daughters Emily, 17, and Mackenzie, 12, hope to lace up their shoes and head out to be in the 2012 Susan G. Komen Three-day, 60-Mile Walk for the Cure to fight breast cancer in Washington, D.C.
The family has embarked on a physical and emotional journey in preparing for the walk, but they need to raise $2,300 per walker. Tax-deductible donations may be made at their fundraising pages at www.the3day.org/goto/heathermiller or ww.the3day.org/goto/emilyhenderson or www.the3day.org/goto/mackenziemiller.
The event starts on Friday, Oct. 12, with a closing ceremony on Sunday afternoon, Oct. 14. They plan to tie pink ribbons on the White House fence. Walkers cover about 20 miles a day and sleep in pink tents.
- In brief: Robery, farmers market, assembly seat
- In brief: Muskego Beach Club, sock drive
- In brief: Spelling ace and geo bee
- In brief: Forums, scam, fatal crash, state title
- In brief: vandalism, electronics recycling
- In brief: church dedication, plant survey, trick or teat
- New Berlin West plans five years' worth of reunions
- In brief: Police memorial, school benefits, Muskego girl
- News & Notes: July 23, 2015
- In Brief: Church, football and Moorland Road
- In brief: grand openning, Brownies
- Muskego and New Berlin briefs
- News and Notes: Nov.13
- New Berlin and Muskego News and Notes: Nov. 6
- News & Notes: July 24, 2014