Cheerleaders take field against childhood cancer
New Berlin - When Eisenhower High School cheerleaders aren't standing on the sidelines cheering, they're setting up lemonade stands to raise money for fight against childhood cancer.
Alex's Lemonade Stand emerged from an idea of a childhood cancer patient. Alexandra Scott, of Manchester, Conn., was diagnosed cancer shortly before her first birthday in 1997.
The day after her fourth birthday, after Alex received a stem cell transplant, she told her mother that when she got out of the hospital, she wanted to have a lemonade stand so she could give the money to doctors to help other kids.
Alex died in 2004, but her story inspired others to host lemonade stands for cancer research. Her family carries on the foundation.
The Eisenhower Cheer team is committed to carry on Alex's vision, said head coach Susan Belongia.
"Recently this terrible disease has hit home affecting a young boy in New Berlin who has many ties to Eisenhower families and friends," she said.
The cheerleaders were off to a fast start on their goal of raising $1,000, Belongia said. The squad kicked off its project with its first lemonade stand during the open house at Eisenhower. More than $100 was raised in just a short time, Belongia said.
Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company is also supporting the team's efforts.
Lakepoint church opens in Muskego
Muskego - Lakepoint Church, a congregation of about 65 people who have been introducing themselves and their new church to the community all summer, will hold its opening service in its first home in Muskego High School at 10 a.m. Oct. 7.
The lead pastor of the nondenominational church is the Rev. Brian Hofmeister, a Muskego native.
Digital sign beams bright message to passersby
New Berlin - Crossroads Community Church, New Berlin, got digital sign last week that shines messages brightly to passersby at 4315 S. Moorland Road.
- Campus News: July 28, 2016
- In brief: Embezzlement charges sought
- In brief: arson, memory, taxes
- In brief: Robery, farmers market, assembly seat
- In brief: Muskego Beach Club, sock drive
- In brief: Spelling ace and geo bee
- In brief: Forums, scam, fatal crash, state title
- In brief: vandalism, electronics recycling
- In brief: church dedication, plant survey, trick or teat
- New Berlin West plans five years' worth of reunions
- In brief: Police memorial, school benefits, Muskego girl
- News & Notes: July 23, 2015
- In Brief: Church, football and Moorland Road
- In brief: grand openning, Brownies
- Muskego and New Berlin briefs
- News and Notes: Nov.13
- New Berlin and Muskego News and Notes: Nov. 6