Blaze damages Harland Drive home
New Berlin - A fire that did extensive damage to a home in the 4500 block of South Harland Drive started in the area of the green house, authorities said.
At 12:23 a.m. Dec. 5, the New Berlin fire and police departments responded to the fire. Damage is estimated at $150,000 to the home and its contents. The cause of the fire is still under investigation.
The couple living in the home was awakened by the sound of burning outside and things falling off the house, said Steve Kon, lieutenant fire marshal.
When firefighters arrived, the entire side of the house was on fire, he said.
"Our guys did an excellent job of keeping the fire from the roof and preventing a total loss," Kon said.
Firefighters were able to save a lot of the couple's belongings, including a taxidermy studio in the basement, he said.
No injuries were reported.
Mutual aid came from the Brookfield, Hales Corners, Tess Corners and town of Vernon fire departments. The home was in an area that doesn't have fire hydrants and tankers brought water to the location.
Kon said he doesn't know if the home had smoke detectors, but he stressed the importance of making sure homes do, and that they are in working order.
"There could have been some serious tragedy here," he said.
Police seek strong-armed robber
Muskego - Muskego police are looking for a suspect in an attempted strong-armed robbery in the parking of Sauced Restaurant, W16355 Woods Road, that happened at about 6:45 p.m. Saturday.
A woman reported to police that a man knocked her down and attempted to steal her vehicle. The suspect could not find her vehicle keys in her purse and ran off. She described him as about 5 feet 10 inches tall, weighing 160 pounds and wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and blue jeans.
Officers searched the area using the Waukesha County canine unit, but the suspect was not located.
Anyone with information is asked to call police at (262) 679-4130.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Muskego-Norway School Board includes police dogs to help search student property
- High ACTs achieved in local schools; New Berlin and Muskego High School students attain notable scor
- Senior taxi ridership drops as elderly users pass away; program in search of new passengers
- New Berlin and Muskego police reports: August 14, 2014 issue
- Charity event to feature fashion in Muskego
- Musekgo High School employs sex offender security system
- Upcoming annual Muskego Community Festival will be a highflying event.
- Muskego Plan Commission shuns changes for lake homes, senior condos
- Retired Muskego High School principal will serve as interim replacement for Ryan Oertel
- Muskego-Norway School District chooses former principal for interim job