Muskego - Despite people's workday schedules on July 3, the Water Bugs Ski Team is expecting the usual overflow crowd for its celebration of the nation's Independence Day.
Water Bugs president Mark Moriarty acknowledged that attendance might be a little lighter in the afternoon, he said, but the activities at Idle Isle Park, S6666 Hardtke Drive, will stretch throughout the day nonetheless, culminating the main ski show at 7 p.m.
"We'll do jumps and pyramids and barefooting," Moriarty said.
The celebration includes plenty of swimming and picnicking, plus inflatable rides, a bungee run and a rock climbing wall. The Water Bugs will open its concession stand about 1 p.m. About 6:30 p.m., the younger members of the ski team (from age 6) will take to the water for a preliminary ski show.
After the skiing is done and dusk settles over the park, roughly at 9:15 p.m., the fireworks (set to music) will begin.
The normal Idle Isle parking will be supplemented with a new parking lot at Park Arthur, Moriarty said. Free shuttles also will take people to and from the celebration from a satellite parking area at Peace Lutheran Church at Small Road and College Avenue. The shuttles will run from about 5 to 10:30 p.m.
The Water Bugs festivities are the biggest celebration of the nation's independence in Muskego. The city holds its big summer celebration, Muskego Fest, in August. This year's dates are Aug. 23 to 26.
- Jane Ford-Stewart
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Muskego's Park Arthur West development on hold
- Improved National Night Out set for Muskego
- Proposed gated community and senior condo project on Little Muskego Lake greeted with citizen concern
- Random drug testing for certain students will start this fall at Muskego High School
- News & Notes: July 24, 2014
- Muskego and New Berlin police reports July 2-10
- Officials examine report that says some municipal ambulance response times dragged on for 14 to 23 m
- Muskego holds public hearing on residential development proposed for Little Muskego Lake