Muskego - Despite people's workday schedules on July 3, the Water Bugs Ski Team is expecting the usual overflow crowd for its celebration of the nation's Independence Day.
Water Bugs president Mark Moriarty acknowledged that attendance might be a little lighter in the afternoon, he said, but the activities at Idle Isle Park, S6666 Hardtke Drive, will stretch throughout the day nonetheless, culminating the main ski show at 7 p.m.
"We'll do jumps and pyramids and barefooting," Moriarty said.
The celebration includes plenty of swimming and picnicking, plus inflatable rides, a bungee run and a rock climbing wall. The Water Bugs will open its concession stand about 1 p.m. About 6:30 p.m., the younger members of the ski team (from age 6) will take to the water for a preliminary ski show.
After the skiing is done and dusk settles over the park, roughly at 9:15 p.m., the fireworks (set to music) will begin.
The normal Idle Isle parking will be supplemented with a new parking lot at Park Arthur, Moriarty said. Free shuttles also will take people to and from the celebration from a satellite parking area at Peace Lutheran Church at Small Road and College Avenue. The shuttles will run from about 5 to 10:30 p.m.
The Water Bugs festivities are the biggest celebration of the nation's independence in Muskego. The city holds its big summer celebration, Muskego Fest, in August. This year's dates are Aug. 23 to 26.
- Jane Ford-Stewart
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Plan could be presented Monday to battle scourge that has hit Little Muskego Lake
- Doggy donation event, police open house to be held May 9 in Milwaukee
- Animal blood bank in Greenfield needs more dog and cat donors to keep all pets healthy
- A 5K Fun Run/Walk and Wellness Fair will be held by the Muskego Area Chamber of Commerce May 2.
- New Berlin returns incumbents to school board
- Tornado watch in effect
- Muskego Area Chamber of Commerce honors pair of businesses
- Citizen Athlete: Functional Fitness for the Athlete in You opens in Muskego
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: April 9