New Berlin will begin phasing its emergency dispatch operations into the Waukesha County Communications Center this weekend.
The New Berlin Common Council decided earlier this month to disband the city's dispatch unit and have all 911 calls answered by the WCC.
As of Saturday night, WCC dispatchers will start answering overnight 911 calls from 11 p.m. until 7 a.m., sending police, fire or paramedic personnel as needed. Those needing emergency help will still dial 911. Calls to New Berlin's nonemergency line, (262) 782-6640, during those overnight hours also will be answered by WCC dispatchers.
But callers should dial a different telephone number between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. if they have administrative questions regarding special events, how to pay tickets, requests for overnight parking permission or anything that doesn't require a police response. The overnight number for those calls is (262) 780-8123.
The transition to WCC is expected to take several months. When complete, WCC will answer 911 calls from New Berlin 24 hours a day.
The WCC already answers 911 calls coming from cell phones.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Muskego-Norway District one of only three Wisconsin districts to lower levy for five years (2)
- Lots of people attend Moorland Road in Muskego project meeting, few criticisms (2)
- Two more charged in connection with Muskego Petro Mart armed robbery
- Muskego police arrest house burglary suspects; cremated remains of son were not recovered
- Muskego-Norway School Board approves holding a $43.2 million referendum on April 5
- Aldermen favor going ahead with new Muskego City Hall, police station
- Muskego police searching for explorer recruits
- Evers nominates Muskego Elementary School for Blue Ribbon award
- Muskego man, 27, faces armed robbery charge connected to gas station hold up
- Plans for new Muskego city hall, police station appear to win favor