Muskego rallied from a 4-0 deficit to tie the score, but a balk brought in the winning run in the fourth inning for Waukesha West, as the Wolverines downed Muskego in Friday night's WIAA summer baseball sectional final, 5-4.
West's first two batters reached in the fourth inning of a 4-4 game -- the second on an infield error -- and a runner from third came home when Muskego lefty Peter Jewell was called for the balk. Immersed in the mosquito haven that is Waukesha West's baseball field, it appeared Jewell was swatting a bug from his face while standing on the mound, which led to the balk call.
The Warriors struggled fielding West's bunts in the first inning, allowing West to plate two runs without hitting a ball hard, and an infield error gave West a leadoff batter in the second and jumpstarted another two-run rally.
After picking up a run in the third, Muskego's big blow came in the fourth from Austin Wentland, who doubled to left with the bases loaded. When the ball got under the glove of West left fielder Lucas Bourassa, a third run came around and tied the game at 4-4.
Muskego (24-8) collected only one hit in the final three innings and could not mount another threat. West (24-10) advanced to the WIAA state tournament for the second straight year.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: Poll: Which area team will win a state football title?
- Sport Shorts: Oct. 23, 2014 issue
- Muskego boys volleyball team captures Classic 8 dual-meet championship
- Muskego football team clobbers Mukwonago, earns share of conference title
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 9
- Sport Shorts: Oct. 16, 2014 issue
- Muskego boys soccer team goes 2-0-1, continues its late-season surge
- Arrowhead hands Muskego football team second straight 35-28 defeat
- Muskego boys volleyball squad downs powerful Memorial in three sets
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 8