Muskego - Jessica Mlachnik and Shannon Riley, two of the top players on this year's Muskego girls basketball team, have decided on their colleges.
Mlachnik made a verbal commitment to play at Ashford University in Clinton, Iowa, while Riley chose the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire.
Mlachnik averages a team-high 11.8 points, along with 4.9 rebounds, 3.8 assists and 2.8 steals. She is a three-year starter for the Warriors, who came into this week at 11-7.
"We are extremely excited to have Jessica joining our Ashford family," head coach Amy Eagan said. "Jess's character, leadership, work ethic and competitiveness will have an immediate impact on our team. She will be a great fit to our system both offensively and defensively."
Ashford is a member of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics and the Midwest Collegiate Conference. Mlachnik plans to major in education.
Riley averages 10.2 points, 6.9 rebounds, 1.2 assists and 1.3 steals. She will major in communicative disorders at Eau Claire, with plans to become a speech pathologist.
Eau Claire was 17-5 and rated 16th in the NCAA Division III this season. The BluGolds have made four NCAA postseason trips under coach Tonja Englund.
"UW-Eau Claire is everything I was looking for in a university," Riley said. "They have a great speech therapy program, and I will have the opportunity to play for one of the top teams in the Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference. I love the atmosphere on campus, in Zorn Arena and the overall feel of the team and coaching staff."
Both Mlachnik and Riley were on the All-Southeast Conference team last season and played for the Wisconsin Impact club program.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Muskego swimmer Lauren Stigler earns two top-five finishes at state
- Muskego girls basketball team looks to bounce back
- State swim meet tidbits
- Muskego boys volleyball team falls to Horlick in WIAA sectional match
- Muskego girls swimming team secures 13 qualifying spots for state
- Girls volleyball: Muskego girls volleyball team falls just short of WIAA state crown
- Girls volleyball: Fifth-set heroics propel Muskego girls volleyball team to state final
- Muskego girls volleyball team bounces back, nips Union Grove in semi
- Sport Shorts: Nov. 6, 2014
- Muskego's Alex Erickson finishes 11th at WIAA State Cross Country Meet