Muskego wrestlers Roland Dunlap and Jordan Gruettner capped off their brilliant high school careers with typically dominating performances in winning their second straight WIAA Division 1 state championships on Saturday night in Madison.
Gruettner pinned Luke Belich of Mukwonago in 1 minute, 12 seconds in his title match at 220 pounds. Gruettner pinned all four of his state opponents, and none of the matches even went past the first period.
The senior finished this season at 44-0 and extended his two-season winning streak to 84 matches. He never lost a high school match after falling in the state championship as a sophomore in 2010.
Dunlap was equally as strong at 182 pounds, polishing off Wisconsin Rapids foe Ryan Cone with a 17-6 major decision. Dunlap used quick takedowns, his specialty, to gain early control and build an insurmountable lead.
Dunlap, who wound up 46-1 on the season, finished his state tournament with three major decisions and a pin of Ian Johnson of Milton, a former state champion himself.
Fellow Muskego senior Justin Scherkenbach sustained a frustrating and disappointing overtime loss in the semifinals at 126 pounds on Friday night but bounced back to win two decisions on Saturday and come in third. He finished 46-2.
Sophomore Austin Quartullo placed sixth at 113 pounds, going 3-3 at state and posting a 44-5 overall mark.
Complete coverage of the championships won by Dunlap and Gruettner, as well as all Muskego state results, will appear in the March 1 edition of the Muskego NOW newspaper this week.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Muskego baseball team improves steadily in 2014 campaign
- Baseball: Muskego ousts defending champion West in regional baseball contest
- Late rally gives Muskego baseball team much-needed victory in finale
- Muskego baseball team stays alive in Classic 8 Conference title chase
- Hailey Blount, Brianna Witter help Muskego to record-setting season
- Sports Notes: July 3
- Muskego baseball team's offense struggles for first time this year
- Muskego baseball team's bats continue to ring during 3-1 week
- Muskego girls soccer team stifled by DSHA in state semifinal contest
- Sports Shorts: June 19