Muskego wrestlers Roland Dunlap and Jordan Gruettner capped off their brilliant high school careers with typically dominating performances in winning their second straight WIAA Division 1 state championships on Saturday night in Madison.
Gruettner pinned Luke Belich of Mukwonago in 1 minute, 12 seconds in his title match at 220 pounds. Gruettner pinned all four of his state opponents, and none of the matches even went past the first period.
The senior finished this season at 44-0 and extended his two-season winning streak to 84 matches. He never lost a high school match after falling in the state championship as a sophomore in 2010.
Dunlap was equally as strong at 182 pounds, polishing off Wisconsin Rapids foe Ryan Cone with a 17-6 major decision. Dunlap used quick takedowns, his specialty, to gain early control and build an insurmountable lead.
Dunlap, who wound up 46-1 on the season, finished his state tournament with three major decisions and a pin of Ian Johnson of Milton, a former state champion himself.
Fellow Muskego senior Justin Scherkenbach sustained a frustrating and disappointing overtime loss in the semifinals at 126 pounds on Friday night but bounced back to win two decisions on Saturday and come in third. He finished 46-2.
Sophomore Austin Quartullo placed sixth at 113 pounds, going 3-3 at state and posting a 44-5 overall mark.
Complete coverage of the championships won by Dunlap and Gruettner, as well as all Muskego state results, will appear in the March 1 edition of the Muskego NOW newspaper this week.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Strong cast of veterans will boost Muskego girls basketball team in 2015-16 season
- Muskego boys basketball team tries to follow up on successful season
- Muskego's Stigler captures WIAA state swimming championship in breaststroke
- Muskego's football success built upon solid foundation
- Franklin football team stuns Muskego
- Muskego sends 10 qualifiers to state swimming championships
- Muskego boys volleyball team drops tough match to Racine Case in regional dual meet
- Football: Franklin football team makes statement with rout of Muskego, 42-15
- Muskego boys cross-country squad runs to 18th place in WIAA Division 1 State Meet
- Muskego's Jochims captures 10th place at WIAA Division 1 state cross-country meet