Muskego wrestlers Roland Dunlap and Jordan Gruettner capped off their brilliant high school careers with typically dominating performances in winning their second straight WIAA Division 1 state championships on Saturday night in Madison.
Gruettner pinned Luke Belich of Mukwonago in 1 minute, 12 seconds in his title match at 220 pounds. Gruettner pinned all four of his state opponents, and none of the matches even went past the first period.
The senior finished this season at 44-0 and extended his two-season winning streak to 84 matches. He never lost a high school match after falling in the state championship as a sophomore in 2010.
Dunlap was equally as strong at 182 pounds, polishing off Wisconsin Rapids foe Ryan Cone with a 17-6 major decision. Dunlap used quick takedowns, his specialty, to gain early control and build an insurmountable lead.
Dunlap, who wound up 46-1 on the season, finished his state tournament with three major decisions and a pin of Ian Johnson of Milton, a former state champion himself.
Fellow Muskego senior Justin Scherkenbach sustained a frustrating and disappointing overtime loss in the semifinals at 126 pounds on Friday night but bounced back to win two decisions on Saturday and come in third. He finished 46-2.
Sophomore Austin Quartullo placed sixth at 113 pounds, going 3-3 at state and posting a 44-5 overall mark.
Complete coverage of the championships won by Dunlap and Gruettner, as well as all Muskego state results, will appear in the March 1 edition of the Muskego NOW newspaper this week.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Muskego's Annika Graves leads softball team at the plate, in the field
- Muskego baseball team keeps stringing together victories
- Muskego baseball team finds more ways to win games
- Muskego's Glandt tallies 19 points in Division 1 all-star basketball game
- Muskego baseball team keeps on rolling in Classic 8 Conference action
- Kettle Moraine edges Muskego in WIAA Division 1 girls state semifinal soccer contest
- Muskego girls soccer team heads to state for second straight season
- Muskego native Nick Schmidlkofer earns Academic All-America honor for baseball
- Muskego baseball team sweeps Waukesha South
- Girls soccer: Early goal helps Muskego girls soccer team down Greenfield in sectional