Muskego - The decision to attend and play volleyball for the University of Toledo was an easy one for Mary O'Connor of Muskego.
After all, it meant that she was going home.
O'Connor lived in Toledo from infancy through sixth grade, so she was quite familiar with the city and with the university.
"The campus is beautiful, and I really love the coaching staff there," she said. "I visited Kentucky and the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, but Toledo is my favorite."
O'Connor, who helped her Muskego High School team reach the WIAA Division 1 State Tournament a few weeks ago, signed a national letter of intent last week with Toledo. She received a full athletic scholarship.
She is the second Muskego athlete to sign with a school from the Midwest Athletic Conference, as Renee Bennett agreed to attend and play basketball for Ball State University.
O'Connor plans to major in physical therapy.
O'Connor made first-team all-Classic 8 Conference and third-team all-state this season for the Warriors. She led team in kills with 312 and also totaled 73 blocks.
She also plays club volleyball for the Wisconsin Juniors in Kenosha.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 12
- Ryan Borton helps Muskego football team run roughshod over South
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 5
- Muskego runs wild on Waukesha South, putting a damper on Blackshirts' home opener
- Football: Big runs boost Muskego football team to 42-6 romp over Oconomowoc
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Aug. 29
- Muskego girls swimming team wins meet, gives coach a successful return
- For Glenn Kozicki, coaching Muskego youth baseball is a family matter
- Muskego football team grinds out opening victory over Racine Park
- Young Menomonee Falls football team will try to maintain standards