Muskego - The decision to attend and play volleyball for the University of Toledo was an easy one for Mary O'Connor of Muskego.
After all, it meant that she was going home.
O'Connor lived in Toledo from infancy through sixth grade, so she was quite familiar with the city and with the university.
"The campus is beautiful, and I really love the coaching staff there," she said. "I visited Kentucky and the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, but Toledo is my favorite."
O'Connor, who helped her Muskego High School team reach the WIAA Division 1 State Tournament a few weeks ago, signed a national letter of intent last week with Toledo. She received a full athletic scholarship.
She is the second Muskego athlete to sign with a school from the Midwest Athletic Conference, as Renee Bennett agreed to attend and play basketball for Ball State University.
O'Connor plans to major in physical therapy.
O'Connor made first-team all-Classic 8 Conference and third-team all-state this season for the Warriors. She led team in kills with 312 and also totaled 73 blocks.
She also plays club volleyball for the Wisconsin Juniors in Kenosha.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Defense helps Muskego football team in 42-7 rout of Waukesha North
- Sports Shorts: Oct. 2, 2014
- Young Muskego boys soccer team finding its footing in 2014
- Muskego girls cross country team claims crown at own invitational
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 26
- Sport Shorts: Sept. 25, 2014 issue
- Muskego's Eric Hess named Wisconsin Boys Soccer Coach of the Year
- Lauren Stigler wins 100 breaststroke for Muskego at Waukesha South
- Muskego girls cross country team finishes fifth in Marquette Invite
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 19