Muskego - The decision to attend and play volleyball for the University of Toledo was an easy one for Mary O'Connor of Muskego.
After all, it meant that she was going home.
O'Connor lived in Toledo from infancy through sixth grade, so she was quite familiar with the city and with the university.
"The campus is beautiful, and I really love the coaching staff there," she said. "I visited Kentucky and the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, but Toledo is my favorite."
O'Connor, who helped her Muskego High School team reach the WIAA Division 1 State Tournament a few weeks ago, signed a national letter of intent last week with Toledo. She received a full athletic scholarship.
She is the second Muskego athlete to sign with a school from the Midwest Athletic Conference, as Renee Bennett agreed to attend and play basketball for Ball State University.
O'Connor plans to major in physical therapy.
O'Connor made first-team all-Classic 8 Conference and third-team all-state this season for the Warriors. She led team in kills with 312 and also totaled 73 blocks.
She also plays club volleyball for the Wisconsin Juniors in Kenosha.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Muskego boys track team captures second in Wisconsin Lutheran Invitational
- Sports Notes: March 26, 2015
- Muskego girls basketball team make strides during 2014-15 season
- Strong balance, teamwork key for Muskego boys basketball team in 2014-15
- Franklin, Muskego, Oak Creek, Whitnall gymnasts take second in state meet
- Muskego boys basketball team sees season end in WIAA regional game
- Sport Shorts: March 5, 2015
- FMOW gymnasts win sectional with season-best score
- Muskego's Brady McFarland places sixth in WIAA state wrestling tournament
- Muskego eighth-grade basketball team goes unbeaten in league play