Cudahy - New Berlin Eisenhower/West boys swimming and diving team - Marlins for short - finished fifth at the Woodland Conference Relays on Dec. 5. But the story was four dominating victories by the same four swimmers.
The Marlins version of the Fantastic Four - senior Matthew Olencheck and juniors Taylor Petrauski, Jackson Wannamaker and Zach Solie - combined to win four events.
"I am very happy with the leadership these four swimmers have shown already this season," coach Becky Young said. "We graduated a lot of seniors last season and I am impressed with the way they have stepped up so quickly to fill that leadership role."
The foursome won the 200 medley relay in 1 minute, 45.22 seconds, the 400 individual medley relay in 4:03.13, the 500 freestyle relay in 4:32.40 and the 300 backstroke relay in 2:45.12.
"Olenchek, Petrauski, Wannamaker and Solie all had very successful seasons last year," Young said. "They have all set goals for this year on how to improve and they are hungry to do even better this year. I am pleased with how well they are doing this early in the season."
Young said the swimmers are working hard to accomplish their goals for the season.
"I am excited to see how the rest of the season will continue to play out," she said.
New Berlin's next best finishes were sixth-place performances.
The 1-meter diving relay of Zach Stoltenburg, Sam Mantel and Joey Corstvet finished sixth with 213.65 points as did the 400 free relay of junior Devin Hetzel, junior Sam Hider, senior Josh Hintz and junior Amin Phakhruddin (4:19.75).
The 300 breaststroke relay of junior Ross Wick, freshman Auggie Brenzel, Hintz and freshman Alex Weiss also took sixth (4:12.55).
The other team to finish sixth was the 100 free relay of Hider, Hetzel, Phakhruddin and Stoltenburg.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Muskego skiers finish third, fourth in Little Switzerland race
- Franklin, Muskego, Oak Creek, Whitnall gymnasts flex muscles with Madison win
- Muskego boys basketball team falls to Arrowhead, later regains sole lead in Classic 8
- Muskego wrestlers prepare for tournament season with dual-meet victory over Arrowhead
- Muskego girls skiers win another Midwest High School race
- Strong effort gives Muskego wrestling team sixth place at Zelinski Duals
- Muskego boys basketball team holds on to top Waukesha North, maintain Classic 8 Conference lead
- Muskego girls skiers claim two first places in high school meets
- Muskego girls basketball team captures first Classic 8 Conference victory of season
- Muskego boys basketball team remains on top in Classic 8 Conference race