Cudahy - New Berlin Eisenhower/West boys swimming and diving team - Marlins for short - finished fifth at the Woodland Conference Relays on Dec. 5. But the story was four dominating victories by the same four swimmers.
The Marlins version of the Fantastic Four - senior Matthew Olencheck and juniors Taylor Petrauski, Jackson Wannamaker and Zach Solie - combined to win four events.
"I am very happy with the leadership these four swimmers have shown already this season," coach Becky Young said. "We graduated a lot of seniors last season and I am impressed with the way they have stepped up so quickly to fill that leadership role."
The foursome won the 200 medley relay in 1 minute, 45.22 seconds, the 400 individual medley relay in 4:03.13, the 500 freestyle relay in 4:32.40 and the 300 backstroke relay in 2:45.12.
"Olenchek, Petrauski, Wannamaker and Solie all had very successful seasons last year," Young said. "They have all set goals for this year on how to improve and they are hungry to do even better this year. I am pleased with how well they are doing this early in the season."
Young said the swimmers are working hard to accomplish their goals for the season.
"I am excited to see how the rest of the season will continue to play out," she said.
New Berlin's next best finishes were sixth-place performances.
The 1-meter diving relay of Zach Stoltenburg, Sam Mantel and Joey Corstvet finished sixth with 213.65 points as did the 400 free relay of junior Devin Hetzel, junior Sam Hider, senior Josh Hintz and junior Amin Phakhruddin (4:19.75).
The 300 breaststroke relay of junior Ross Wick, freshman Auggie Brenzel, Hintz and freshman Alex Weiss also took sixth (4:12.55).
The other team to finish sixth was the 100 free relay of Hider, Hetzel, Phakhruddin and Stoltenburg.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Muskego boys track team captures second in Wisconsin Lutheran Invitational
- Sports Notes: March 26, 2015
- Muskego girls basketball team make strides during 2014-15 season
- Strong balance, teamwork key for Muskego boys basketball team in 2014-15
- Franklin, Muskego, Oak Creek, Whitnall gymnasts take second in state meet
- Muskego boys basketball team sees season end in WIAA regional game
- Sport Shorts: March 5, 2015
- FMOW gymnasts win sectional with season-best score
- Muskego's Brady McFarland places sixth in WIAA state wrestling tournament
- Muskego eighth-grade basketball team goes unbeaten in league play