Muskego - Muskego said hello to the Classic 8/Greater Metro Conference boys swimming meet on Saturday by winning it.
The Warriors tallied 456 points to easily beat Brookfield's 379 points and Hartland Arrowhead's 311 in the event at Waukesha South.
"This was an outstanding effort by all members of the team," said head coach Larry Milton, whose team has won five major meets this season.
As for the longtime members of the conference, they welcomed Muskego - with some reservations.
"If you ask me," Brookfield head coach Bill Twitchell joked, "Muskego could have waited another year to join our little party. The Barracudas did everything possible to bring the win home, but in the end, it was not enough."
Junior Joe Szczupakiewicz led the way, winning both the 200-yard freestyle at 1 minute, 46.4 seconds and the 500 freestyle with 4:41.77.
He also swam on two winning relay teams, the 200 medley with sophomore Thomas Stigler, senior Patrick Walsh and junior Jon Roberts in 1:39.4 and the 400 freestyle with Walsh, senior Allan Prichard and Roberts at 3:16.84.
Also winning were Walsh in the 200 individual medley with 1:57.59 and Roberts in the 100 freestyle at 47.69 seconds.
Taking second were Roberts in the 50 freestyle (21.82), Walsh in the 100 butterfly (53.52) and Stigler in the 100 breast stroke (1:01.44).
"Roberts stumbled a little in the 50 free (second) but recovered for his 100 and the final 400 relay (firsts)," Milton said.
Finishing fourth were JP Paquette in the 200 IM (2:01.9) and freshman Drew Borland in the 500 freestyle (5:10.3).
Coming in fifth were Stigler in the 200 IM (2:03.28), Paquette in the 100 butterfly (55.55), junior Matt Gilson in the 100 backstroke (57.75), the 400 freestyle B team of Paquette, Stigler, Gilson and sophomore Clayton Cesarz (3:29.37) and sophomore diver Liam Klotzbach (286.05 points).
Placing sixth were Prichard in the 100 backstroke (58.4) and the 200 medley B team of junior Tyler Schrank, Cesarz, Paquette and Prichard (1:48.01).
Claiming eighth were Gilson in the 200 freestyle (1:52.5), Prichard in the 100 butterfly (56.31) and Schrank in the 100 backstroke (1:00.69).
"Gilson, Stigler and Schrank swam well in all their events," Milton said.
The Warriors compete in a WIAA Division 1 sectional meet at Waukesha South at 2 p.m. Feb. 9. The winner of each event and those with the 18 best times throughout the state advance to the state meet.
"I would like to see the whole team swim for two more weeks," Milton said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Muskego's Kate Jochims wins at UW-Parkside for second straight cross-country crown
- Muskego routs Waukesha South, clinches spot in WIAA football playoffs
- Muskego's Taylor, Stigler each win pair of events at Lancer swimming meet
- Sport Shorts: Oct. 1, 2015
- Muskego girls tennis team takes fourth in Classic 8 Conference tournament
- Muskego boys cross-country team captures championship in own invite
- Passing game becoming part of Muskego football team's arsenal
- Short-handed Muskego swimmers perform well at Waukesha South Invitational
- Muskego girls volleyball team captures Watertown Invitational championship
- Football: Wagner's long touchdown run propels Muskego football team past Catholic Memorial