A trio of Muskego athletes made college decisions this week, with two planning to play volleyball and the other heading for the football field.
Joe Kuchler and Sammy Pedersen, current seniors at Muskego High School, will attend and play volleyball for the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh next season.
Matt Degner, a senior at Catholic Memorial High School, will attend and continue his football career at Augustana College in South Dakota.
Kuchler, a 5 foot-7 inch libero, and Pedersen, a 6-0 left-side hitter and defensive specialist, played on the 2011 and 2012 Muskego squads that reached the WIAA State Tournament under head coach Joe Arbinger.
Kuchler plans to major in health science at Oshkosh.
"I chose Oshkosh because it provides me with an opportunity to excel in my studies as well as continue to play the sport I love," he said.
Pedersen will study physical therapy.
"I like Oshkosh because it offers a lot of different majors that allow me to keep my career options open," he said. "I also like that the volleyball program has coaches who are really interested in developing the players and helping the teams continue to be successful."
Pedersen was named to the Classic 8 All-Conference second team as a senior. He is currently playing basketball for the Warriors and will also play baseball next summer. He threw a no-hitter in the 2011 season.
Oshkosh head coach Brian Schaefer is looking forward to seeing both play volleyball for Oshkosh.
"Both Joe and Sammy attended our camp this past summer, and I instantly noticed their passion for the game," he said. "Part of the reason Muskego High School was so successful is the fact that there is talent, but more importantly, a group of guys who cared for each other."
Degner is a 6-4, 290-pound offensive lineman who enjoyed success at Catholic Memorial. He was a team captain for the Crusaders, who won the WIAA Division 3 championship, and was named first-team Classic 8 Conference as well.
He was also on the Wisconsin Football Coaches Association all-state second team as well as first-team all-Waukesha County, and he was chosen for the Shrine All-Star Game this July.
Degner plans to major in sports management at Augustana, which is an NCAA Division II school.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Muskego boys cross country team collects medals at Kenosha Tremper Invitational
- Muskego girls tennis team wins invitational, dual meet in busy week
- Muskego girls swimming team opens season with victory in Falcon Funfest
- Muskego football team's defense shines in easy opening victory
- Gridiron Guide: Get to know: Muskego Warriors
- Defense could step forward for Muskego football team this season
- Muskego girls tennis team opens season with victory
- Muskego Impact earns split of four-game week in Land O' Lakes action
- Wagner plays big role for Muskego's Classic 8 champion baseball team
- Muskego baseball team enjoys memorable season