Austin Quartullo and Connor Price, the leaders of the Muskego wrestling team all season, paced the Warriors' efforts in a WIAA Division 1 regional meet Saturday.
Quartullo and Price won their regional championships, Quartullo at 113 pounds and Price at 152 pounds, to spearhead a group of five Muskego qualifiers to a sectional meet at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at Waukesha West High School.
The other qualifiers are Brady McFarland (145), Jack Sarnowski (106) and Marty Alivo (220).
The top two in each weight class in the sectional advance to the state meet Feb. 21 to 23 at Madison.
"We are excited for sectionals," head coach Sean Fortmann said. "We will continue to fine-tune some things, but the kids have done a great job."
Quartullo raised his season mark to 39-1 at the regional. He took a first-round bye, then posted a pin in 1 minute, 51 seconds and a pin in 3:54 over Thomas Welch of Greendale in the title match.
Price (39-5) pinned his first two opponents in 1:35 and 5:22 before notching a 22-7 technical fall over Ryan Olson of Whitnall in the final.
"Austin and Connor both wrestled really well," head coach Sean Fortmann said. "They both scored a lot of points and worked on staying in great position. They are both peaking at the right time."
McFarland (25-16) earned second place with a 3-1 mark on the day. He pinned his first foe, then was pinned in the semifinal. McFarland wrestled back to second with a pin in 5:24 and a 15-8 decision over Sam Walton of Greendale in the second-place match.
"Brady really wrestled hard," Fortmann said. "He got a wrestleback and dominated a good wrestler (Walton)."
Sarnowski (21-15) and Alivo (9-15) both finished fourth.
"They are both on the cusp of breaking through," the coach said. "I think they are both ready to break through at the sectional."
Placing fifth, missing qualifying by one spot, were Taylor Pietrzak (126), Riley Wikel (138), Ryan Borton (160), Ryan Honerlaw (170) and Jim Miller (182).
The Warriors tallied 138½ points for fourth in the team standings, which were led by Mukwonago's 236½.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sport Shorts: Dec, 18, 2014
- Kettle Moraine hands Muskego boys basketball team its first loss
- Muskego wrestling team routs West, captures 17th place at Bay Port
- Sport Shorts: Dec. 11, 2014
- Muskego wrestlers open with dual-meet loss, seventh place in invitational
- Muskego boys swimming team falls to powerful Arrowhead in dual meet
- Ryan Borton, Baili Leszczynski, Alex Hauke key to Muskego's title
- Muskego boys basketball team knocks off Homestead in season opener
- Muskego boys volleyball team earns all-conference, all-state honors
- Ice Force hockey team opens with win over Green Bay, 6-2