Austin Quartullo and Connor Price, the leaders of the Muskego wrestling team all season, paced the Warriors' efforts in a WIAA Division 1 regional meet Saturday.
Quartullo and Price won their regional championships, Quartullo at 113 pounds and Price at 152 pounds, to spearhead a group of five Muskego qualifiers to a sectional meet at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at Waukesha West High School.
The other qualifiers are Brady McFarland (145), Jack Sarnowski (106) and Marty Alivo (220).
The top two in each weight class in the sectional advance to the state meet Feb. 21 to 23 at Madison.
"We are excited for sectionals," head coach Sean Fortmann said. "We will continue to fine-tune some things, but the kids have done a great job."
Quartullo raised his season mark to 39-1 at the regional. He took a first-round bye, then posted a pin in 1 minute, 51 seconds and a pin in 3:54 over Thomas Welch of Greendale in the title match.
Price (39-5) pinned his first two opponents in 1:35 and 5:22 before notching a 22-7 technical fall over Ryan Olson of Whitnall in the final.
"Austin and Connor both wrestled really well," head coach Sean Fortmann said. "They both scored a lot of points and worked on staying in great position. They are both peaking at the right time."
McFarland (25-16) earned second place with a 3-1 mark on the day. He pinned his first foe, then was pinned in the semifinal. McFarland wrestled back to second with a pin in 5:24 and a 15-8 decision over Sam Walton of Greendale in the second-place match.
"Brady really wrestled hard," Fortmann said. "He got a wrestleback and dominated a good wrestler (Walton)."
Sarnowski (21-15) and Alivo (9-15) both finished fourth.
"They are both on the cusp of breaking through," the coach said. "I think they are both ready to break through at the sectional."
Placing fifth, missing qualifying by one spot, were Taylor Pietrzak (126), Riley Wikel (138), Ryan Borton (160), Ryan Honerlaw (170) and Jim Miller (182).
The Warriors tallied 138½ points for fourth in the team standings, which were led by Mukwonago's 236½.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Muskego skiers finish third, fourth in Little Switzerland race
- Franklin, Muskego, Oak Creek, Whitnall gymnasts flex muscles with Madison win
- Muskego boys basketball team falls to Arrowhead, later regains sole lead in Classic 8
- Muskego wrestlers prepare for tournament season with dual-meet victory over Arrowhead
- Muskego girls skiers win another Midwest High School race
- Strong effort gives Muskego wrestling team sixth place at Zelinski Duals
- Muskego boys basketball team holds on to top Waukesha North, maintain Classic 8 Conference lead
- Muskego girls skiers claim two first places in high school meets
- Muskego girls basketball team captures first Classic 8 Conference victory of season
- Muskego boys basketball team remains on top in Classic 8 Conference race