The Southeastern Hockey Association of Wisconsin (SHAW) varsity club hockey team captured the WAHA Division 1 state tournament in Madison on March 15-17.
SHAW downed Marinette/Menomonie, 5-1, in the championship game on March 17. Marinette/Menomonie scored first but Tyler Persch of Mukwonago and Mitchell Klopp of South Milwaukee tallied to put SHAW on top for good.
Zach Mattson of Muskego scored late in the first period for a 3-1 lead, then Thomas Duffy of Milwaukee connected on a power-play slap shot as SHAW went up 4-1.
Logan Jelinske of Wauwatosa tallied an empty-net goal late in the contest to clinch the championship.
On March 15, SHAW beat Hudson, 4-0, with goaltender Max Trevison of West Allis notching the shutout. The local team then tipped Kenosha, 4-3, on March 16 to advance to the title contest.
Other team members are Sean McFarland, Travis Nerad and Garrett Frycienski, all of Muskego; Jake Lipski of New Berlin; Robbie Jurkiewicz and Sam Jurkiewicz, both of Franklin; Trevor Krogman of Cudahy; Devin Schulz of St. Francis; and Matt Schmidt and Cam Ruda of Milwaukee.
The coaches are Neal Fuchs, Russ Schmidt and Justin Jelinske.
SHAW won the triple crown, consisting of the Wisconsin Club Hockey School League, the Cofrin Cup and the WAHA state tournament.
- Muskego's Wagner shines with the stars in both basketball and baseball (1)
- Muskego wins twice, extends lead in Classic 8 Conference baseball race
- Improving pitching backs up big bats for red-hot Muskego baseball team
- Muskego soccer team downed by Divine Savior Holy Angels at state tournament
- Muskego rugby squad falls to Madison Exiles in state playoffs
- Offense leads the way for Muskego baseball team in season's early going
- Muskego girls soccer team secures third straight trip to state tournament
- Muskego Youth Baseball Association helps Wagner with trip to State All-Star Classic
- Muskego's Polivka earns tie for sixth place at WIAA Division 1 State Golf Meet
- Muskego boys continue success in relays at WIAA D1 State Track and Field Meet