The Southeastern Hockey Association of Wisconsin (SHAW) varsity club hockey team captured the WAHA Division 1 state tournament in Madison on March 15-17.
SHAW downed Marinette/Menomonie, 5-1, in the championship game on March 17. Marinette/Menomonie scored first but Tyler Persch of Mukwonago and Mitchell Klopp of South Milwaukee tallied to put SHAW on top for good.
Zach Mattson of Muskego scored late in the first period for a 3-1 lead, then Thomas Duffy of Milwaukee connected on a power-play slap shot as SHAW went up 4-1.
Logan Jelinske of Wauwatosa tallied an empty-net goal late in the contest to clinch the championship.
On March 15, SHAW beat Hudson, 4-0, with goaltender Max Trevison of West Allis notching the shutout. The local team then tipped Kenosha, 4-3, on March 16 to advance to the title contest.
Other team members are Sean McFarland, Travis Nerad and Garrett Frycienski, all of Muskego; Jake Lipski of New Berlin; Robbie Jurkiewicz and Sam Jurkiewicz, both of Franklin; Trevor Krogman of Cudahy; Devin Schulz of St. Francis; and Matt Schmidt and Cam Ruda of Milwaukee.
The coaches are Neal Fuchs, Russ Schmidt and Justin Jelinske.
SHAW won the triple crown, consisting of the Wisconsin Club Hockey School League, the Cofrin Cup and the WAHA state tournament.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Muskego boys tennis team moves up to fourth place in Classic 8 Conference Tournament
- Muskego softball team settles for share of Classic 8 Conference crown
- Tosa East HOF induction set for May 30
- East's Libbey, Fisher win events
- Sport Shorts: May 21, 2015
- Sport Shorts: May 14, 2015
- Muskego boys tennis team brings home South Milwaukee championship
- Muskego softball coach John Rosenberg posts 400th coaching victory
- Sport Shorts: May 7, 2015
- Muskego girls soccer team tips Catholic Memorial on Erin Bolskar's late penalty kick