The Southeastern Hockey Association of Wisconsin (SHAW) varsity club hockey team captured the WAHA Division 1 state tournament in Madison on March 15-17.
SHAW downed Marinette/Menomonie, 5-1, in the championship game on March 17. Marinette/Menomonie scored first but Tyler Persch of Mukwonago and Mitchell Klopp of South Milwaukee tallied to put SHAW on top for good.
Zach Mattson of Muskego scored late in the first period for a 3-1 lead, then Thomas Duffy of Milwaukee connected on a power-play slap shot as SHAW went up 4-1.
Logan Jelinske of Wauwatosa tallied an empty-net goal late in the contest to clinch the championship.
On March 15, SHAW beat Hudson, 4-0, with goaltender Max Trevison of West Allis notching the shutout. The local team then tipped Kenosha, 4-3, on March 16 to advance to the title contest.
Other team members are Sean McFarland, Travis Nerad and Garrett Frycienski, all of Muskego; Jake Lipski of New Berlin; Robbie Jurkiewicz and Sam Jurkiewicz, both of Franklin; Trevor Krogman of Cudahy; Devin Schulz of St. Francis; and Matt Schmidt and Cam Ruda of Milwaukee.
The coaches are Neal Fuchs, Russ Schmidt and Justin Jelinske.
SHAW won the triple crown, consisting of the Wisconsin Club Hockey School League, the Cofrin Cup and the WAHA state tournament.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Strong cast of veterans will boost Muskego girls basketball team in 2015-16 season
- Muskego boys basketball team tries to follow up on successful season
- Muskego's Stigler captures WIAA state swimming championship in breaststroke
- Muskego's football success built upon solid foundation
- Franklin football team stuns Muskego
- Muskego sends 10 qualifiers to state swimming championships
- Muskego boys volleyball team drops tough match to Racine Case in regional dual meet
- Football: Franklin football team makes statement with rout of Muskego, 42-15
- Muskego boys cross-country squad runs to 18th place in WIAA Division 1 State Meet
- Muskego's Jochims captures 10th place at WIAA Division 1 state cross-country meet