The Southeastern Hockey Association of Wisconsin (SHAW) varsity club hockey team captured the WAHA Division 1 state tournament in Madison on March 15-17.
SHAW downed Marinette/Menomonie, 5-1, in the championship game on March 17. Marinette/Menomonie scored first but Tyler Persch of Mukwonago and Mitchell Klopp of South Milwaukee tallied to put SHAW on top for good.
Zach Mattson of Muskego scored late in the first period for a 3-1 lead, then Thomas Duffy of Milwaukee connected on a power-play slap shot as SHAW went up 4-1.
Logan Jelinske of Wauwatosa tallied an empty-net goal late in the contest to clinch the championship.
On March 15, SHAW beat Hudson, 4-0, with goaltender Max Trevison of West Allis notching the shutout. The local team then tipped Kenosha, 4-3, on March 16 to advance to the title contest.
Other team members are Sean McFarland, Travis Nerad and Garrett Frycienski, all of Muskego; Jake Lipski of New Berlin; Robbie Jurkiewicz and Sam Jurkiewicz, both of Franklin; Trevor Krogman of Cudahy; Devin Schulz of St. Francis; and Matt Schmidt and Cam Ruda of Milwaukee.
The coaches are Neal Fuchs, Russ Schmidt and Justin Jelinske.
SHAW won the triple crown, consisting of the Wisconsin Club Hockey School League, the Cofrin Cup and the WAHA state tournament.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Muskego's Kate Jochims wins at UW-Parkside for second straight cross-country crown
- Muskego routs Waukesha South, clinches spot in WIAA football playoffs
- Muskego's Taylor, Stigler each win pair of events at Lancer swimming meet
- Sport Shorts: Oct. 1, 2015
- Muskego girls tennis team takes fourth in Classic 8 Conference tournament
- Muskego boys cross-country team captures championship in own invite
- Passing game becoming part of Muskego football team's arsenal
- Short-handed Muskego swimmers perform well at Waukesha South Invitational
- Muskego girls volleyball team captures Watertown Invitational championship
- Football: Wagner's long touchdown run propels Muskego football team past Catholic Memorial