An improving defense helped the Muskego girls volleyball team claim second place at the strong Lancer Invitational at Brookfield Central on Saturday.
The Warriors fell to East Troy, the top-rated team in Division 2, by a 21-25, 25-22, 19-17 score in the title match of the Gold Bracket.
They had earlier beaten Menomonee Falls, which is rated first in Division 1, by a 25-17, 25-21 count, and defending WIAA Division 1 state champion Burlington 26-24, 25-9.
"Our front-court defense and our blocking improved," head coach Karen Anderson said. "When your defense improves, your offense gets a chance to improve. You can play more offense."
For the tournament, Brooke Gostomski led in kills with 36, followed by Lauren Kudronowicz with 32 and Kayla Bluemel with 31.
Morgan Kath topped the team in assists (110) and served 12 aces, while Michelle Fugarino collected 61 digs and 14 service aces and Jordan Wachowiak totaled 13 1/2 blocks.
Muskego also downed Waukesha West 25-16, 25-15, 25-7 in a Classic 8 Conference dual meet on Sept. 10 to move to 2-0 in the league.
"The combination of kids we have is really good, both on and off the court," Anderson continued. "They work well together and they feed off each other. I am the most happy with how hard they are working."
The Warriors will meet Burlington again in a dual meet at home at 6:30 p.m. today.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Muskego girls hoops faces some rebuilding
- High-powered Muskego boys basketball rolls past Franklin
- Muskego girls basketball open schedule Nov. 30
- Muskego boys basketball picks up the pace
- Muskego enjoyed plenty of sports success in 2013
- Muskego football hung tough in brutal conference
- Muskego girls send 10 entries to state swimming meet
- Sports Shorts: Nov. 14
- Social media story: Muskego boys win state soccer title
- Sport Shorts: Nov. 7