Despite a pair of individual first places from senior Jon Roberts and junior Tom Stigler, the Muskego boys swimming team lost its season opener, a 93-92 dual defeat at the hands of Arrowhead on Dec. 5.
Roberts won the 50-yard freestyle in 21.98 seconds and the 100 freestyle with 48.5. Stigler captured the 200 individual medley with 2 minutes, 0.86 seconds and the 100 breaststroke at 1:01.04.
Also winning were senior Joe Szczupakiewicz in the 200 freestyle with 1:44.58, the 200 medley relay in 1:38.45 and the 400 freestyle relay at 3:19.62. Roberts, Stigler and Szczupakiewicz all swam on both relays.
The Warriors should have another strong team this season, as they return several swimmers with WIAA Division 1 state experience.
Last season, Szczupakiewicz claimed the state championship in the 500 freestyle, while Roberts took second in the 100 freestyle and third in the 50 freestyle. Stigler also competed at state.
Muskego next competes in a non-conference dual meet against Pius XI at home at 5:30 p.m. Thursday.
— John Rech
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Baseball: Muskego ousts defending champion West in regional baseball contest
- Late rally gives Muskego baseball team much-needed victory in finale
- Muskego baseball team stays alive in Classic 8 Conference title chase
- Hailey Blount, Brianna Witter help Muskego to record-setting season
- Sports Notes: July 3
- Muskego baseball team's offense struggles for first time this year
- Muskego baseball team's bats continue to ring during 3-1 week
- Muskego girls soccer team stifled by DSHA in state semifinal contest
- Sports Shorts: June 19
- Hot hitting paces Muskego baseball team to strong start in 2014