Rachel Neuberger, a Muskego High School graduate, put together a fine season for the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee women's volleyball team, and she is being honored for it.
Neuberger, a senior middle blocker for the Panthers, received American Volleyball Coaches Association All-Region honorable mention.
She was also the Horizon League Player of the Year after leading UWM to the Horizon championship and a berth in the NCAA Division I Tournament last season.
"(The awards) are really a reflection of the team," Neuberger said. "I would not be player of the year without (her teammates). After last season, we all worked hard in the off-season, and this is all of our hard work paying off."
UWM won the Horizon League regular-season crown with a 12-2 mark in dual meets, then captured the championship of the tournament, which was held at home.
The Panthers then fell in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament to rival Wisconsin, which went on to finish second to Penn State in the Final Four.
Neuberger, who helped Muskego High School to three WIAA Division 1 state tournament berths, surpassed 1,000 kills for her career at Green Bay in November and is one of just three Panthers in school history to collect more than 400 career blocks.
She is also UWM's all-time leader in hitting percentage.
In 2013, she led the Horizon League in hitting percentage while finishing second in kills and fourth in blocks during league play.
In one four-match stretch, Neuberger tallied 56 kills and four errors, including a school-record .846 hitting percentage against Oakland.
She reached double figures in kills in 13 of 14 league contests and had five or more blocks in 10 league duals. She earned both league offensive and defensive player of the week honors during the season.
She is majoring in accounting and finance and hopes to work in administrative athletics after graduation in December.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Muskego boys swimmers secure top-half finish in Classic 8/Greater Metro Conference Meet
- Muskego's Tobin, Finke, White sign with Division 1 football colleges
- Muskego wrestling team claims three championships, second place in Classic 8 Conference Tournament
- Muskego skiers finish third, fourth in Little Switzerland race
- Franklin, Muskego, Oak Creek, Whitnall gymnasts flex muscles with Madison win
- Muskego boys basketball team falls to Arrowhead, later regains sole lead in Classic 8
- Muskego wrestlers prepare for tournament season with dual-meet victory over Arrowhead
- Muskego girls skiers win another Midwest High School race
- Strong effort gives Muskego wrestling team sixth place at Zelinski Duals
- Muskego boys basketball team holds on to top Waukesha North, maintain Classic 8 Conference lead