Rachel Neuberger, a Muskego High School graduate, put together a fine season for the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee women's volleyball team, and she is being honored for it.
Neuberger, a senior middle blocker for the Panthers, received American Volleyball Coaches Association All-Region honorable mention.
She was also the Horizon League Player of the Year after leading UWM to the Horizon championship and a berth in the NCAA Division I Tournament last season.
"(The awards) are really a reflection of the team," Neuberger said. "I would not be player of the year without (her teammates). After last season, we all worked hard in the off-season, and this is all of our hard work paying off."
UWM won the Horizon League regular-season crown with a 12-2 mark in dual meets, then captured the championship of the tournament, which was held at home.
The Panthers then fell in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament to rival Wisconsin, which went on to finish second to Penn State in the Final Four.
Neuberger, who helped Muskego High School to three WIAA Division 1 state tournament berths, surpassed 1,000 kills for her career at Green Bay in November and is one of just three Panthers in school history to collect more than 400 career blocks.
She is also UWM's all-time leader in hitting percentage.
In 2013, she led the Horizon League in hitting percentage while finishing second in kills and fourth in blocks during league play.
In one four-match stretch, Neuberger tallied 56 kills and four errors, including a school-record .846 hitting percentage against Oakland.
She reached double figures in kills in 13 of 14 league contests and had five or more blocks in 10 league duals. She earned both league offensive and defensive player of the week honors during the season.
She is majoring in accounting and finance and hopes to work in administrative athletics after graduation in December.
- Muskego baseball team overcame early pitching questions to claim Classic 8, regional championships
- Muskego baseball team nips Greendale, 11-10, in wild WIAA sectional semifinal contest
- Muskego falls to powerful Oak Creek in WIAA sectional championship baseball game
- Muskego's Sandra Mohr helps elite club volleyball team claim national, world championships
- Sports Notes: July 14, 2016
- Muskego sweeps Mukwonago, wraps up second straight Classic 8 baseball crown
- Muskego's Christy Dachowski came back from two surgeries to shine on softball field
- Muskego baseball team sweeps Waukesha West, nears Classic 8 championship
- Muskego's Wagner shines with the stars in both basketball and baseball (1)
- Muskego wins twice, extends lead in Classic 8 Conference baseball race