Revenge and confidence were gained by the Muskego wrestling team with a 52-15 romp over Arrowhead on Jan. 21.
"They (the Warhawks) beat us pretty badly last year," head coach Sean Fortmann said, "so it was good for us to come back and get a solid win over them."
Muskego jumped out to a 22-0 lead behind victories by Grant Balconi at 195 pounds (9-1 major decision), Marty Alivo at 220 (3-1 decision), Jorin McGuire at heavyweight (pin in 1 minute, 39 seconds), Tommy Wintheiser at 106 (forfeit) and Jon Schweitzer at 113 (11-9).
Arrowhead broke through with a pin at 120, but the Warriors answered with triumphs from Vinny Nazario at 126 (pin in 1:17) and Austin Quartullo at 132 (7-2) to go up 31-6.
The Warhawks won the next two matches, but Muskego closed with four straight victories: Alex Ciepluch at 152 (15-10), Brady McFarland at 160 (pin in 2:23), Ryan Borton at 170 (pin in 3:09) and Connor Price at 182 (pin in 1:07).
"This was a great team win," Fortmann said. "We had five pins and three come-from-behind wins, plus another win in overtime."
Muskego moved to 4-0 in Classic 8 duals and visits Mukwonago, which is also unbeaten in conference, at 7:15 p.m. Friday.
The Warriors went 3-2 at the Zelinski Duals on Saturday at Whitnall High School.
They lost their first two duals, 42-37 to Kenosha Bradford and 44-34 to Hartford, then won three straight: 60-12 over Marquette, 51-17 over Fond du Lac and 42-32 over Green Bay Preble.
McFarland went 5-0 for the day, while Cam Rygiewicz was 4-0 and Quartullo 3-0. McGuire and Borton posted 4-1 records and Price, Alivo, Schweitzer, Ciepluch and Balconi all had three victories.
"We have a lot of young guys in our lineup and so we need them to step in and wrestle tough for us," Fortmann said. "This weekend gave everyone on our team a lot of mat time and showed us the things that we need to work on to be successful for the end of the year."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Muskego baseball team finds more ways to win games
- Muskego's Glandt tallies 19 points in Division 1 all-star basketball game
- Muskego baseball team keeps on rolling in Classic 8 Conference action
- Kettle Moraine edges Muskego in WIAA Division 1 girls state semifinal soccer contest
- Muskego girls soccer team heads to state for second straight season
- Muskego native Nick Schmidlkofer earns Academic All-America honor for baseball
- Muskego baseball team sweeps Waukesha South
- Girls soccer: Early goal helps Muskego girls soccer team down Greenfield in sectional
- Muskego boys relay team captures WIAA Division 1 state championship
- Muskego's Lederman, Kotarak capture top-six spots at state track meet