Revenge and confidence were gained by the Muskego wrestling team with a 52-15 romp over Arrowhead on Jan. 21.
"They (the Warhawks) beat us pretty badly last year," head coach Sean Fortmann said, "so it was good for us to come back and get a solid win over them."
Muskego jumped out to a 22-0 lead behind victories by Grant Balconi at 195 pounds (9-1 major decision), Marty Alivo at 220 (3-1 decision), Jorin McGuire at heavyweight (pin in 1 minute, 39 seconds), Tommy Wintheiser at 106 (forfeit) and Jon Schweitzer at 113 (11-9).
Arrowhead broke through with a pin at 120, but the Warriors answered with triumphs from Vinny Nazario at 126 (pin in 1:17) and Austin Quartullo at 132 (7-2) to go up 31-6.
The Warhawks won the next two matches, but Muskego closed with four straight victories: Alex Ciepluch at 152 (15-10), Brady McFarland at 160 (pin in 2:23), Ryan Borton at 170 (pin in 3:09) and Connor Price at 182 (pin in 1:07).
"This was a great team win," Fortmann said. "We had five pins and three come-from-behind wins, plus another win in overtime."
Muskego moved to 4-0 in Classic 8 duals and visits Mukwonago, which is also unbeaten in conference, at 7:15 p.m. Friday.
The Warriors went 3-2 at the Zelinski Duals on Saturday at Whitnall High School.
They lost their first two duals, 42-37 to Kenosha Bradford and 44-34 to Hartford, then won three straight: 60-12 over Marquette, 51-17 over Fond du Lac and 42-32 over Green Bay Preble.
McFarland went 5-0 for the day, while Cam Rygiewicz was 4-0 and Quartullo 3-0. McGuire and Borton posted 4-1 records and Price, Alivo, Schweitzer, Ciepluch and Balconi all had three victories.
"We have a lot of young guys in our lineup and so we need them to step in and wrestle tough for us," Fortmann said. "This weekend gave everyone on our team a lot of mat time and showed us the things that we need to work on to be successful for the end of the year."
- Muskego's Wagner shines with the stars in both basketball and baseball (1)
- Muskego wins twice, extends lead in Classic 8 Conference baseball race
- Improving pitching backs up big bats for red-hot Muskego baseball team
- Muskego soccer team downed by Divine Savior Holy Angels at state tournament
- Muskego rugby squad falls to Madison Exiles in state playoffs
- Offense leads the way for Muskego baseball team in season's early going
- Muskego girls soccer team secures third straight trip to state tournament
- Muskego Youth Baseball Association helps Wagner with trip to State All-Star Classic
- Muskego's Polivka earns tie for sixth place at WIAA Division 1 State Golf Meet
- Muskego boys continue success in relays at WIAA D1 State Track and Field Meet