The defending state champion Franklin, Muskego, Oak Creek and Whitnall (FMOW) girls gymnastics team continues to move forward as it won a triangular meet with Kenosha and Waukesha on Jan. 23.
The team then followed that with a fourth-place finish in the competitive Niles West Invitational on Saturday.
"Only three gymnasts compete and every score counts," said coach Katie Moore of the invite. "As a team we took a few more falls than usual and without the ability to drop a score it was tough. We finished in fourth place against some really good schools from the Chicago area, but would have been in the mix at the top without the errors."
Individual highlights were a second-place finish from Erin Scholz on vault with a 9.5 while Sam Balcerak took fourth on the uneven bars (9.025) and balance beam (9.25).
In the triangular, FMOW turned in a score of 139.75 to beat Kenosha (138.35) as Jessica Kotarak was second in the all-around with a 35.975 while the team went one-two-three on the uneven bars with Kotarak (9.025), Jessica Kossoris (8.95) amd Erin Scholz (8.925) doing the heavy lifting. Kotarak also also won the floor exercise (9.225).
"We have a lot of new skills going into routines right now so we are working on making them consistent in competition," said Moore. "Also, we are still trying to find our top five girls on each event as we get to the end of the season and look to put our best line-up on the floor. Right now we're resting some injuries and giving all the girls a chance to show that they belong in the line-up when it counts the most."
The team will be at the Madison Memorial Invitational on Feb. 1.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Strong cast of veterans will boost Muskego girls basketball team in 2015-16 season
- Muskego boys basketball team tries to follow up on successful season
- Muskego's Stigler captures WIAA state swimming championship in breaststroke
- Muskego's football success built upon solid foundation
- Franklin football team stuns Muskego
- Muskego sends 10 qualifiers to state swimming championships
- Muskego boys volleyball team drops tough match to Racine Case in regional dual meet
- Football: Franklin football team makes statement with rout of Muskego, 42-15
- Muskego boys cross-country squad runs to 18th place in WIAA Division 1 State Meet
- Muskego's Jochims captures 10th place at WIAA Division 1 state cross-country meet