Junior Morgan Kath won a pair of events as the Muskego girls track and field team opened its season by taking second in the Rapid Force Indoor Invitational at the University of Wisconsin-Parkside on Saturday.
Kath claimed the high jump with a meet-record 5 feet 3 inches. Her effort topped the old mark of 5-2 set in 2013.
She also ran with junior Morgan Marek, sophomore Jenna Lederman and junior Jamie Kvasnicka to place first in the 4x400-meter relay at a meet-record 4 minutes, 13.05 seconds. That easily beat the old record of 4:18.01 set in 2013.
Junior Jerica Kotarak provided Muskego's other first, capturing the long jump with 17-91/2, another meet record. That edged the previous standard of 17-83/4, set in 2012.
The firsts helped the Warriors snare second as a team with 74 points, trailing Arrowhead's 94 points.
The Muskego boys, who finished fourth with 42 points, had one first place as junior Alex Hauke prevailed in the shot put with 45-8.
Taking second for the girls were Kvasnicka in the long jump (16-81/2), giving the Warriors the top two spots in that event, and senior Lauren Kudronowicz in the shot put (33-23/4).
Finishing second for the boys were senior Mitch Kwapick in the 1,600 run (4:28.02) and the 4x200 relay unit of senior Noah Kairis, junior Cameron Rygkiewicz, sophomore Grant LeGros and senior Matt Little (1:37.26).
Freshman Abigail Missiaen took third in the 55 low hurdles (9.48 seconds), while senior Marissa Wendtland was fourth in the 55 hurdles (9.54).
Lederman snared fifth in the 1,600 run (5:23.26) for the girls, while the boys took four fifths: sophomore Keith Kamer in the 200 dash (24.52), sophomore Josh Deakin in the 3,200 run (10:19.43), the 4x800 group of junior Alex Graziano, senior Joe Prekop, sophomore Nick Salo and junior Dan Matusinec (9:02.62) and the 4x400 squad of Graziano, Prekop, Matusinec and Kwapick (3:46.08).
Claiming sixth for the girls were freshman Savannah Rygiewicz in the 200 dash (28.58) and sophomore Mikaela Zolecki in the shot put (31-81/4).
Placing seventh were junior Breanna Frey in the 55 dash (7.75), Marek in the 400 dash (1:04.4) and the 4x200 unit of juniors Vicki Jansen, Morgan Buss, Anna Egan and Frey (1:57.51). Freshman Taylor Tabbert captured eighth in the 400 dash (1:04.96).
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sports Wraps: Sept. 18, 2014 issue
- Muskego boys cross country team surges to second at South Milwaukee
- Muskego swimmers capture third in rugged Classic 8 relay competition
- Aerial game provides new dimension to Muskego football team's attack
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 12
- Ryan Borton helps Muskego football team run roughshod over South
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 5
- Muskego runs wild on Waukesha South, putting a damper on Blackshirts' home opener
- Football: Big runs boost Muskego football team to 42-6 romp over Oconomowoc
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Aug. 29