After his team finished fifth in the Classic 8 Conference in dual meets, Muskego boys tennis head coach Jake Adamson knew the Warriors were ready to move up in the standings.
They did just that, as they secured third place with 221/2 points in the Dick Arnold Conference Tournament on May 17 at Heyer Park in Waukesha.
Catholic Memorial won the event with 33 points, followed by Arrowhead at 32 points.
"We knew we were a better team than (fifth)," Adamson said. "Our goal for the conference tournament was to improve our (team) standing and our individual standings at each flight. For the most part, we were able to reach our goal."
Ziolkowski, Taylor win
The first doubles team of Ben Ziolkowski and Josh Taylor won its flight, topping Jacob Hentges and John Zanotti of Arrowhead 6-0, 7-6 (7-1) in their title match. They had easily won their first two matches in straight sets.
Ziolkowski and Taylor improved to 17-1 on the season.
"Josh and Ben have been playing like one of the best teams," Adamson said.
The third doubles unit of Nick Berger and Joe Foye came in second, falling to Joey Dittman and Nick Griff of Arrowhead 1-6, 7-5, 10-5, in their title dual. Berger and Foye had also won two earlier matches in straight sets.
"Nick and Joe were a couple of new players at the start of the year and finished the year second in conference," Adamson said. "I couldn't be more proud of how these guys grew during the course of the season and how they were able to finish."
Harrison Wendland at second singles and the second doubles team of Eric Voisin and Zach Beyer were able to capture third places after entering the tournament unseeded.
Mitch Toboyek took fifth at first singles, while Cory Ludwig came in sixth at fourth singles and Rob Kim seventh at third singles.
Warriors split duals
The Warriors also played a pair of Classic 8 dual meets last week, losing to Arrowhead 5-2 on May 14 and beating Waukesha West 6-1 on May 13.
Winning against West were Toboyek (6-1, 6-2), Wendland (6-0, 4-6, 7-5), Kim (6-3, 6-3), Ziolkowski/Taylor (6-1, 6-0), Voisin/Beyer (6-4, 4-6, 6-0) and Berger/Foye (4-6, 6-0, 6-4).
Prevailing against Arrowhead were Ziolkowski/Taylor (6-3, 4-6, 6-3) and Voisin/Ryan Beczkiewicz (6-3, 6-0).
The Warriors are preparing for a WIAA Division 1 subsectional meet at 9 a.m. Tuesday, May 27, at Wauwatosa West.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Strong cast of veterans will boost Muskego girls basketball team in 2015-16 season
- Muskego boys basketball team tries to follow up on successful season
- Muskego's Stigler captures WIAA state swimming championship in breaststroke
- Muskego's football success built upon solid foundation
- Franklin football team stuns Muskego
- Muskego sends 10 qualifiers to state swimming championships
- Muskego boys volleyball team drops tough match to Racine Case in regional dual meet
- Football: Franklin football team makes statement with rout of Muskego, 42-15
- Muskego boys cross-country squad runs to 18th place in WIAA Division 1 State Meet
- Muskego's Jochims captures 10th place at WIAA Division 1 state cross-country meet