Hot hitting paces Muskego baseball team to strong start in 2014
Warriors' pitching coming around too
In the early part of this season, the offense helped carry the Muskego baseball team.
The Warriors tallied eight or more runs in six of their first 10 contests and not surprisingly, won five of those.
Last week, though, the Muskego pitching rounded into form in a three-game sweep of Classic 8 Conference foes in which only five runs were allowed.
Muskego dropped Waukesha West 6-1 on June 12, Waukesha South 3-2 on June 10 and Mukwonago 5-2 on June 9 to improve to 5-2 in the conference and 9-4 overall.
"We have been pitching better, and we have improved defensively," head coach Jacob Paige said. "Actually, though, offense has been our strength so far this season."
Senior Cal Krafcheck pitched the victory over West, working the full seven innings and giving up three hits while striking out five and walking none.
Sophomore Ryan Tobin provided much of the offense, going 3-for-3 with a pair of doubles and four runs batted in on the day. Tobin collected a two-run double, RBI double and RBI single.
Sophomore Caleb Wagner was 2-for-4 with an RBI as well.
Juniors Dan Malak and Matt Pedersen pitched in the victory over Waukesha South, and the Warriors needed their strong efforts, as they had only three hits. Tobin drove in two runs on a groundout and single.
Junior Luke Thomka posted the victory over Mukwonago on June 9, striking out 14 along the way. Sophomore Brett Finke and sophomore Michael Frasher each doubled in a run.
Muskego welcomes Arrowhead at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, June 19, then travels to New Berlin West at 5 p.m. Friday, June 20, and Slinger at 11 a.m. Saturday, June 21.
The Warriors continue their road trip at Mukwonago at 5 p.m. Monday, June 23, and Catholic Memorial (Blazer Complex) at 7 p.m. Tuesday, June 24.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Muskego boys swimmers secure top-half finish in Classic 8/Greater Metro Conference Meet
- Muskego's Tobin, Finke, White sign with Division 1 football colleges
- Muskego wrestling team claims three championships, second place in Classic 8 Conference Tournament
- Muskego skiers finish third, fourth in Little Switzerland race
- Franklin, Muskego, Oak Creek, Whitnall gymnasts flex muscles with Madison win
- Muskego boys basketball team falls to Arrowhead, later regains sole lead in Classic 8
- Muskego wrestlers prepare for tournament season with dual-meet victory over Arrowhead
- Muskego girls skiers win another Midwest High School race
- Strong effort gives Muskego wrestling team sixth place at Zelinski Duals
- Muskego boys basketball team holds on to top Waukesha North, maintain Classic 8 Conference lead