Hot hitting paces Muskego baseball team to strong start in 2014
Warriors' pitching coming around too
In the early part of this season, the offense helped carry the Muskego baseball team.
The Warriors tallied eight or more runs in six of their first 10 contests and not surprisingly, won five of those.
Last week, though, the Muskego pitching rounded into form in a three-game sweep of Classic 8 Conference foes in which only five runs were allowed.
Muskego dropped Waukesha West 6-1 on June 12, Waukesha South 3-2 on June 10 and Mukwonago 5-2 on June 9 to improve to 5-2 in the conference and 9-4 overall.
"We have been pitching better, and we have improved defensively," head coach Jacob Paige said. "Actually, though, offense has been our strength so far this season."
Senior Cal Krafcheck pitched the victory over West, working the full seven innings and giving up three hits while striking out five and walking none.
Sophomore Ryan Tobin provided much of the offense, going 3-for-3 with a pair of doubles and four runs batted in on the day. Tobin collected a two-run double, RBI double and RBI single.
Sophomore Caleb Wagner was 2-for-4 with an RBI as well.
Juniors Dan Malak and Matt Pedersen pitched in the victory over Waukesha South, and the Warriors needed their strong efforts, as they had only three hits. Tobin drove in two runs on a groundout and single.
Junior Luke Thomka posted the victory over Mukwonago on June 9, striking out 14 along the way. Sophomore Brett Finke and sophomore Michael Frasher each doubled in a run.
Muskego welcomes Arrowhead at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, June 19, then travels to New Berlin West at 5 p.m. Friday, June 20, and Slinger at 11 a.m. Saturday, June 21.
The Warriors continue their road trip at Mukwonago at 5 p.m. Monday, June 23, and Catholic Memorial (Blazer Complex) at 7 p.m. Tuesday, June 24.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Muskego boys tennis team moves up to fourth place in Classic 8 Conference Tournament
- Muskego softball team settles for share of Classic 8 Conference crown
- Tosa East HOF induction set for May 30
- East's Libbey, Fisher win events
- Sport Shorts: May 21, 2015
- Sport Shorts: May 14, 2015
- Muskego boys tennis team brings home South Milwaukee championship
- Muskego softball coach John Rosenberg posts 400th coaching victory
- Sport Shorts: May 7, 2015
- Muskego girls soccer team tips Catholic Memorial on Erin Bolskar's late penalty kick