Once again, the Muskego boys basketball head coaching position is open. Duane Mlachnik resigned from the job after just one season. Mlachnik said he enjoyed a fine relationship with the school's administration, but had some difficulties with a few parents over the course of the season.
"I had some issues with a few parents during the season," Mlachnik said. "It was just too much hassle. I just thought enough was enough."
He said his situation was not unique at the school. "I'm not the Lone Ranger here," he continued. "A number of coaches have had problems. It's just a mess, and I didn't feel like dealing with it anymore. The season was not a lot of fun."
In fact, Mlachnik said he did not have any immediate plans to coach again "because this left a bad taste in my mouth about coaching high school sports."
He did stress that he had no problems with the administration. "Everyone was great to me," he said. "They strongly wanted me to stay."
His son, D.J., the team's leading scorer last season, has already transferred to St. John's Northwestern Military Academy and is playing on the school's baseball team.
Duane Mlachnik moved from the Muskego girls head coaching job to the boys position before last season. The boys team struggled to a 3-18 record in 2008-09.
- John Rech, Staff Writer
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Muskego boys cross country team advances to state for 7th time
- Muskego and New Berlin Sports Shorts: Oct. 30, 2014
- Football: Muskego wins convincingly over Manitowoc
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Level 1
- Football: Poll: Which area team will win a state football title?
- Sport Shorts: Oct. 23, 2014 issue
- Muskego boys volleyball team captures Classic 8 dual-meet championship
- Muskego football team clobbers Mukwonago, earns share of conference title
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 9
- Sport Shorts: Oct. 16, 2014 issue