Madison - Nicole Bauman has been named the Big Ten Conference co-freshman of the week for women's basketball, the conference office announced Monday. Bauman, first-time recipient of the award, shared the honor with Taylor Manuel of Purdue.
The 5-foot-10 guard from New Berlin Eisenhower scored a career-high 16 points against in-state rival Marquette on Dec. 5, shooting 5-of-8 from the field, including 4-of-5 from 3-point range. Bauman made two free throws with 14 seconds left in the game to seal a 71-68 win over the Golden Eagles. She also added a career-best five steals and three rebounds in the win.
Bauman started the last three games due to an injury to Taylor Wurtz and made the most of her experience. In her three starts, she averaged 11.3 points per game with a .571 shooting percentage (12-of-21). She also shot .571 (8-of-14) from 3-point range.
On the season, Bauman ranks sixth on the team with 6.1 points per game while shooting 43.6 percent. She is the team's top 3-point shooter, making 12-of-28 attempts for 42.9 percent.
Bauman is the first Wisconsin player to be named the Big Ten Freshman of the Week since Wurtz won the honor on Jan. 18, 2010.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Strong cast of veterans will boost Muskego girls basketball team in 2015-16 season
- Muskego boys basketball team tries to follow up on successful season
- Muskego's Stigler captures WIAA state swimming championship in breaststroke
- Muskego's football success built upon solid foundation
- Franklin football team stuns Muskego
- Muskego sends 10 qualifiers to state swimming championships
- Muskego boys volleyball team drops tough match to Racine Case in regional dual meet
- Football: Franklin football team makes statement with rout of Muskego, 42-15
- Muskego boys cross-country squad runs to 18th place in WIAA Division 1 State Meet
- Muskego's Jochims captures 10th place at WIAA Division 1 state cross-country meet