Madison - Nicole Bauman has been named the Big Ten Conference co-freshman of the week for women's basketball, the conference office announced Monday. Bauman, first-time recipient of the award, shared the honor with Taylor Manuel of Purdue.
The 5-foot-10 guard from New Berlin Eisenhower scored a career-high 16 points against in-state rival Marquette on Dec. 5, shooting 5-of-8 from the field, including 4-of-5 from 3-point range. Bauman made two free throws with 14 seconds left in the game to seal a 71-68 win over the Golden Eagles. She also added a career-best five steals and three rebounds in the win.
Bauman started the last three games due to an injury to Taylor Wurtz and made the most of her experience. In her three starts, she averaged 11.3 points per game with a .571 shooting percentage (12-of-21). She also shot .571 (8-of-14) from 3-point range.
On the season, Bauman ranks sixth on the team with 6.1 points per game while shooting 43.6 percent. She is the team's top 3-point shooter, making 12-of-28 attempts for 42.9 percent.
Bauman is the first Wisconsin player to be named the Big Ten Freshman of the Week since Wurtz won the honor on Jan. 18, 2010.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sports Wraps: Sept. 18, 2014 issue
- Muskego boys cross country team surges to second at South Milwaukee
- Muskego swimmers capture third in rugged Classic 8 relay competition
- Aerial game provides new dimension to Muskego football team's attack
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 12
- Ryan Borton helps Muskego football team run roughshod over South
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 5
- Muskego runs wild on Waukesha South, putting a damper on Blackshirts' home opener
- Football: Big runs boost Muskego football team to 42-6 romp over Oconomowoc
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Aug. 29