Closely-knit Muskego runners take seventh at state
Girls run together, boys' Kwapick 44th
Muskego - Togetherness and camaraderie helped the Muskego girls cross country team enjoy a successful 2012 season.
That cohesiveness was on display once again at Saturday's WIAA Division 1 State Meet in Wisconsin Rapids, as the Warriors ran to seventh place in the 20-team field with 222 points.
"We had a 20-second spread from our first through fifth runners," head coach Richard Raney said. "This is the best in the state. What this means is we have a very close and tightly-knit team."
Leading the way for Muskego was sophomore Leanna Barr, who finished 43rd in 15 minutes, 29 seconds. She became the fourth different runner to top the Warriors this season.
Junior Georgi Llanas took 72nd place (15:41), sophomore Morgan Marek 80th (15:44), sophomore Lexie Tremble 87th (15:48) and freshman Jenna Lederman 91st (15:50) to round out Muskego's top five.
Sophomore Ellie Tadych came in 112th (16:04) and freshman Gabby Mraz 186th (17:13) for the Warriors.
"It was a nice showing, and we are really proud of the work that the girls put in this season," Raney said. "The state meet was very similar to all the other meets this season, a great team effort."
Raney said the seeds for this season's success were sown after last year's sectional meet, in which the Warriors finished fourth and did not qualify for state.
"Each girl dedicated herself to making herself better," the coach continued. "Their dedication during the summer really showed this season in how we improved each week."
Muskego's state group had no seniors and just one junior, Llanas, so everyone will be back next season.
"My expectations are to continue to improve, get back up to the state meet and hopefully improve upon our finish this season," Raney said.
On the boys side at the state meet, Muskego junior Mitch Kwapick claimed 44th place with 16:33.
The boys team is also young, with three seniors who saw significant varsity time in Zach Matusinec, Andrew Salo and Max Tesch.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: Poll: Will Catholic Memorial or Muskego win in Week 7 matchup?
- Defense helps Muskego football team in 42-7 rout of Waukesha North
- Sports Shorts: Oct. 2, 2014
- Young Muskego boys soccer team finding its footing in 2014
- Muskego girls cross country team claims crown at own invitational
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 26
- Sport Shorts: Sept. 25, 2014 issue
- Muskego's Eric Hess named Wisconsin Boys Soccer Coach of the Year
- Lauren Stigler wins 100 breaststroke for Muskego at Waukesha South
- Muskego girls cross country team finishes fifth in Marquette Invite