High-powered Muskego boys basketball rolls past Franklin
Warriors rack up 42 first-half points
The new up-tempo offense is serving the Muskego boys basketball team well in the early part of the season.
The Warriors put up 42 points in the first half, then just kept rolling from there in posting a 77-54 triumph over Franklin on Nov. 26 to improve to 2-1.
"We are putting up some points now, and I hope that continues," head coach Andy Capes said, "but we are also doing a good job defensively. It was a good win for us."
Turner Kehoe put together his best game so far this year, collecting 19 points on 8-of-16 shooting from the floor to go with five rebounds, four assists and five steals. Capes said he also played solid defense.
Brandon Glandt tallied 18 points to remain the team's top scorer for the season and chipped in four rebounds, four assists and three steals.
Cal Schultz contributed 17 points on 7-of-13 from the field, with five rebounds, four assists and three steals.
Mike Vidmar put in 13 points to give Muskego four double-digit scorers for the second time in three contests.
"That is a huge change for us from past years, when we pretty much relied on one guy," the coach said. "We are still looking for some other guys to get hot. We think we can have more people (near double digits)."
Capes also praised Jack Mlachnik for his defensive performance and his work on the boards with four rebounds.
After falling behind 18-15 after one period, Muskego put 27 points on the board in the second quarter to go up 42-31. The Warriors built on that lead in the second half.
"I think we will surprise a lot of people this year," Capes said.
The Warriors will begin Classic 8 Conference action at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 6 at Waukesha South. They then welcome Waukesha West at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 10.
- Dachowski's hot bat helps propel Muskego softball team to three victories
- Muskego's Kotarak flies high as freshman in MSOE track and field
- Muskego girls track team notches top-five finishes at Brookfield East, West Allis Hale meets
- Strong pitching helps boost Muskego softball team to top of Classic 8 Conference standings
- Muskego girls soccer team led by strong veteran defense
- Longtime teammates Wagner, Farner led Muskego boys basketball team to state
- Capes led Muskego boys basketball team out of struggles to state championship game
- Muskego girls basketball team surged back to .500 level in 2015-16 season
- Turnaround for Muskego boys basketball team reached new heights in 2015-16 season
- Muskego girls basketball team surged back to .500 mark in 2015-16 season