Muskego - Amy Upthagrove knows her way around the Nielsen Tennis Stadium in Madison, and she can now introduce teammates Alison Lambrecht and Michelle Roubik to the facility.
All three Muskego players will compete in the WIAA Division 1 State Meet this weekend after qualifying through a sectional on Oct. 6 at Greenfield High School.
Upthagrove, a junior who played first singles for the Warriors this season, is making her third trip to state.
"It is so difficult to make it to state as a singles player, and to think this is Amy's third year qualifying, and she is only a junior," coach Sue Vogel said. "Amy is highly skilled and has a great work ethic. She is active all year with lessons, camps and tournaments. It is nice to see her rewarded for all her hard work with another trip to state."
In sectional action, Upthagrove (16-3) beat Iina Jalkanen of Milwaukee Madison, 6-0, 6-0; lost to Emily Mone of Nicolet, 6-0, 6-2; and downed Katie Cullen of Milwaukee King, 6-3, 6-0.
She begins state play Oct. 13 at 4 p.m. against Bianca Bellissimo of Middleton (23-6).
Roubik (a senior) and Lambrecht (a junior) played first doubles together this season. Both are making their initial trips to Madison.
Roubik is a four-year varsity starter.
"Michelle started as a third doubles player her freshman year and worked her way up over the years," Vogel said. "She has come close to qualifying for state but never quite made it. I am sure this is extra sweet, because it was a long time coming."
Lambrecht started tennis on the freshman team, then moved to varsity third doubles as a sophomore and to first doubles as a junior.
"It is incredible to think that she first put a racquet in her hands her freshman year and by her junior year, she has qualified for state," Vogel said. "That usually doesn't happen in tennis. Alison has the natural ability and her own work ethic, involving off-season work. This was one of her goals and she made it happen."
In sectional play, the duo beat Milwaukee King, 6-2, 6-2; lost to Nicolet, 6-0, 6-1; and fell to Whitefish Bay, 7-6, 4-6, 6-2.
Roubik and Lambrecht (14-4) will take on a team from Verona Area (14-14) at 5:30 p.m. today.
Also qualifying for sectional for Muskego were Jessie West at fourth singles and Elizabeth Jacoby/Audrey Koble in doubles.
Muskego tallied 21 points for fifth place in the sectional team standings.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wagner's big night propels Muskego boys basketball team past Cedarburg
- Strong cast of veterans will boost Muskego girls basketball team in 2015-16 season
- Muskego boys basketball team tries to follow up on successful season
- Muskego's Stigler captures WIAA state swimming championship in breaststroke
- Muskego's football success built upon solid foundation
- Franklin football team stuns Muskego
- Muskego sends 10 qualifiers to state swimming championships
- Muskego boys volleyball team drops tough match to Racine Case in regional dual meet
- Football: Franklin football team makes statement with rout of Muskego, 42-15
- Muskego boys cross-country squad runs to 18th place in WIAA Division 1 State Meet