Varsity experience is not a strong suit for the Muskego girls basketball team this season, but the Warriors do have some positives.
The Warriors lost their top five scorers to graduation and return just one starter in senior Dani Abella, who averaged about 3.0 points per game last season.
Seniors Sammy Schneiker, Chelsey Witkowiak and Aly Kohanowski all played some varsity minutes a year ago, with all scoring about 3.0 points per contest as well.
Head coach Brian Hirtz is still optimistic, though, because of the group's work ethic and athleticism.
"This is a great group of girls to work with, and through the first couple of weeks, they are competing hard and learning fast," Hirtz said. "We have some very good athletes on our team but we do need to develop scorers and scoring opportunities.
"We expect to compete in all our games and see steady improvement as the season goes on. Our seniors will lead our team and set the tone for all that we are doing."
Muskego opened the season with a 52-37 loss to Appleton Xavier on Saturday at the Brookfield Central Shootout.
Kohanowski led the way with 12 points, followed by junior Kourtney Hungleman-Skibe with seven points and Witkowiak and Schneiker with five points apiece.
Xavier, which went 24-2 last season, jumped out to a 28-15 halftime edge before the Warriors steadied in the second half.
Hirtz hopes to develop some depth as the season continues.
"We have several young players who do not have varsity experience, but we are excited for their development over the course of the season," he said.
Muskego visits Sussex Hamilton at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 6 in another non-conference contest, then opens Classic 8 Conference play at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 10 at Waukesha West.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: Muskego wins convincingly over Manitowoc
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Level 1
- Football: Poll: Which area team will win a state football title?
- Sport Shorts: Oct. 23, 2014 issue
- Muskego boys volleyball team captures Classic 8 dual-meet championship
- Muskego football team clobbers Mukwonago, earns share of conference title
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 9
- Sport Shorts: Oct. 16, 2014 issue
- Muskego boys soccer team goes 2-0-1, continues its late-season surge
- Arrowhead hands Muskego football team second straight 35-28 defeat