Varsity experience is not a strong suit for the Muskego girls basketball team this season, but the Warriors do have some positives.
The Warriors lost their top five scorers to graduation and return just one starter in senior Dani Abella, who averaged about 3.0 points per game last season.
Seniors Sammy Schneiker, Chelsey Witkowiak and Aly Kohanowski all played some varsity minutes a year ago, with all scoring about 3.0 points per contest as well.
Head coach Brian Hirtz is still optimistic, though, because of the group's work ethic and athleticism.
"This is a great group of girls to work with, and through the first couple of weeks, they are competing hard and learning fast," Hirtz said. "We have some very good athletes on our team but we do need to develop scorers and scoring opportunities.
"We expect to compete in all our games and see steady improvement as the season goes on. Our seniors will lead our team and set the tone for all that we are doing."
Muskego opened the season with a 52-37 loss to Appleton Xavier on Saturday at the Brookfield Central Shootout.
Kohanowski led the way with 12 points, followed by junior Kourtney Hungleman-Skibe with seven points and Witkowiak and Schneiker with five points apiece.
Xavier, which went 24-2 last season, jumped out to a 28-15 halftime edge before the Warriors steadied in the second half.
Hirtz hopes to develop some depth as the season continues.
"We have several young players who do not have varsity experience, but we are excited for their development over the course of the season," he said.
Muskego visits Sussex Hamilton at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 6 in another non-conference contest, then opens Classic 8 Conference play at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 10 at Waukesha West.
- Mohler pitches Muskego softball team past Arrowhead to clinch share of Classic 8 championship
- Muskego boys tennis team takes seventh in Classic 8 Conference Tournament
- Muskego girls soccer team claims Al Gusho Tournament championship
- Muskego girls track and field team takes third in Classic 8 Outdoor
- Muskego girls soccer team claims West Bend Tournament championship
- Muskego boys, girls track teams shine in Steinke Laser invitational
- Muskego girls track, field team wins three events, captures third in Wisconsin Lutheran Invite
- Dachowski's hot bat helps propel Muskego softball team to three victories
- Muskego's Kotarak flies high as freshman in MSOE track and field
- Muskego girls track team notches top-five finishes at Brookfield East, West Allis Hale meets