Muskego girls volleyball team tipped by Merrill at state
Warriors' season featured league crown
Muskego - The WIAA Division 1 State Tournament ended quietly for the Muskego girls volleyball team with a quarterfinal loss to Merrill on Nov. 1.
The Warriors fell, 25-22, 20-25, 25-23, 25-20, in a hard-fought match against Merrill, which improved to a sparkling 42-3 in duals this season.
"It was a close match," said Muskego head coach Karen Anderson, whose team concluded the year at 31-12. "Merrill plays great defense, but we played pretty well and hung in there; we were tenacious. We had a little trouble terminating the ball, putting it down rather than just keeping it in play. In the end, though, Merrill was the better team."
Mary O'Connor led the Warriors in kills with 16, while Kayla Bluemel and Lauren Kudronowicz each collected 10. Morgan Kath tallied 38 assists and 12 digs, Michelle Fugarino 16 digs, Jordan Wachowiak two blocks and Kristyn Paskiewicz, Kelly Spoerk and Sam Jezewski each a pair of service aces.
Anderson said her team fought through a good deal of adversity in the past few weeks, including injuries and illness that limited key players like Kath, Bluemel and Wachowiak.
"That is not an excuse," she said, "but I am proud of how my group battled through everything."
The defeat concluded a solid season for Muskego, which won the Classic 8 Conference with a 7-0 dual mark in its first season in the league.
"This group made some huge progress together," Anderson continued. "They came a long way."
Seniors are O'Connor, Paskiewicz, Spoerk and Jezewski, but Anderson will have plenty to build upon next season.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sport Shorts: Jan. 29, 2015
- Muskego girls skiing team captures team title at Alpine Valley meet
- Muskego boys basketball team gears up for showdown with Kettle Moraine
- Sport Shorts: Jan. 22, 2015
- Balanced Muskego boys team stays on a roll with two more victories
- Muskego boys swim squad captures fourth in conference relays meet
- Drew Borland's firsts help Muskego swim team prevail
- Caleb Wagner's basket boosts Muskego boys past Mukwonago in thriller
- Evan Sinda claims championship for Muskego wrestlers at Hale tourney
- Muskego swimmers place well in Homestead, Marquette invitationals