Muskego - Renee Bennett has good reason to feel excited about her future in basketball.
Bennett is preparing for her senior season with the Muskego girls team, which begins on Nov. 24 with a game against Sheboygan North at Brookfield Central. She feels the Warriors will field another strong team in their first season in the Classic 8 Conference.
Beyond that, she has already made her college choice. She will accept a full scholarship at Ball State University, an NCAA Division I school in Indiana that plays in the Midwest Athletic Conference.
Bennett, a 6-foot, 3-inch post player, had also fielded offers from Eastern Illinois, Chicago State and a North Dakota school but chose Ball State for several reasons.
"I had met the (current Ball State) coaches when they were at Eastern Illinois, which was the first school to offer me a scholarship," she said. "They moved to Ball State and offered again, and I knew I wanted to work with them. I also like the team and the school."
Muskego head coach Brian Hirtz is also happy about the signing.
"I am excited for her, and for our whole team," he said. "She really came along last year, became a starter during the season and had some breakout games in the (WIAA) playoffs to help us reach a sectional championship game."
Bennett averaged only about six points during the regular season but exploded for 28 points in a dominating performance against Franklin at the sectional level.
"Schools were looking at her because she is tall, but she is also very athletic for her height," Hirtz said. "She is quick and she handles the ball well. She finishes well around the basket and on defense, she can control the lane. I know Ball State is excited to get her."
Bennett's presence also makes Hirtz optimistic about the upcoming high school season, and Bennett is also looking forward to it.
"I am really excited to get it started," she said. "It should be a lot of fun, and we should have a good team."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Muskego's Annika Graves leads softball team at the plate, in the field
- Muskego baseball team keeps stringing together victories
- Muskego baseball team finds more ways to win games
- Muskego's Glandt tallies 19 points in Division 1 all-star basketball game
- Muskego baseball team keeps on rolling in Classic 8 Conference action
- Kettle Moraine edges Muskego in WIAA Division 1 girls state semifinal soccer contest
- Muskego girls soccer team heads to state for second straight season
- Muskego native Nick Schmidlkofer earns Academic All-America honor for baseball
- Muskego baseball team sweeps Waukesha South
- Girls soccer: Early goal helps Muskego girls soccer team down Greenfield in sectional