Cudahy - New Berlin Eisenhower/West boys swimming and diving team - Marlins for short - finished fifth at the Woodland Conference Relays on Dec. 5. But the story was four dominating victories by the same four swimmers.
The Marlins version of the Fantastic Four - senior Matthew Olencheck and juniors Taylor Petrauski, Jackson Wannamaker and Zach Solie - combined to win four events.
"I am very happy with the leadership these four swimmers have shown already this season," coach Becky Young said. "We graduated a lot of seniors last season and I am impressed with the way they have stepped up so quickly to fill that leadership role."
The foursome won the 200 medley relay in 1 minute, 45.22 seconds, the 400 individual medley relay in 4:03.13, the 500 freestyle relay in 4:32.40 and the 300 backstroke relay in 2:45.12.
"Olenchek, Petrauski, Wannamaker and Solie all had very successful seasons last year," Young said. "They have all set goals for this year on how to improve and they are hungry to do even better this year. I am pleased with how well they are doing this early in the season."
Young said the swimmers are working hard to accomplish their goals for the season.
"I am excited to see how the rest of the season will continue to play out," she said.
New Berlin's next best finishes were sixth-place performances.
The 1-meter diving relay of Zach Stoltenburg, Sam Mantel and Joey Corstvet finished sixth with 213.65 points as did the 400 free relay of junior Devin Hetzel, junior Sam Hider, senior Josh Hintz and junior Amin Phakhruddin (4:19.75).
The 300 breaststroke relay of junior Ross Wick, freshman Auggie Brenzel, Hintz and freshman Alex Weiss also took sixth (4:12.55).
The other team to finish sixth was the 100 free relay of Hider, Hetzel, Phakhruddin and Stoltenburg.
- Improving pitching backs up big bats for red-hot Muskego baseball team
- Muskego soccer team downed by Divine Savior Holy Angels at state tournament
- Muskego rugby squad falls to Madison Exiles in state playoffs
- Offense leads the way for Muskego baseball team in season's early going
- Muskego girls soccer team secures third straight trip to state tournament
- Muskego Youth Baseball Association helps Wagner with trip to State All-Star Classic
- Muskego's Polivka earns tie for sixth place at WIAA Division 1 State Golf Meet
- Muskego boys continue success in relays at WIAA D1 State Track and Field Meet
- Muskego girls track and field team goes through tough times at WIAA D1 state meet
- Harrison leads contingent of eight Muskego girls track and field state qualifiers