Cudahy - New Berlin Eisenhower/West boys swimming and diving team - Marlins for short - finished fifth at the Woodland Conference Relays on Dec. 5. But the story was four dominating victories by the same four swimmers.
The Marlins version of the Fantastic Four - senior Matthew Olencheck and juniors Taylor Petrauski, Jackson Wannamaker and Zach Solie - combined to win four events.
"I am very happy with the leadership these four swimmers have shown already this season," coach Becky Young said. "We graduated a lot of seniors last season and I am impressed with the way they have stepped up so quickly to fill that leadership role."
The foursome won the 200 medley relay in 1 minute, 45.22 seconds, the 400 individual medley relay in 4:03.13, the 500 freestyle relay in 4:32.40 and the 300 backstroke relay in 2:45.12.
"Olenchek, Petrauski, Wannamaker and Solie all had very successful seasons last year," Young said. "They have all set goals for this year on how to improve and they are hungry to do even better this year. I am pleased with how well they are doing this early in the season."
Young said the swimmers are working hard to accomplish their goals for the season.
"I am excited to see how the rest of the season will continue to play out," she said.
New Berlin's next best finishes were sixth-place performances.
The 1-meter diving relay of Zach Stoltenburg, Sam Mantel and Joey Corstvet finished sixth with 213.65 points as did the 400 free relay of junior Devin Hetzel, junior Sam Hider, senior Josh Hintz and junior Amin Phakhruddin (4:19.75).
The 300 breaststroke relay of junior Ross Wick, freshman Auggie Brenzel, Hintz and freshman Alex Weiss also took sixth (4:12.55).
The other team to finish sixth was the 100 free relay of Hider, Hetzel, Phakhruddin and Stoltenburg.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: Poll: Which area team will win a state football title?
- Sport Shorts: Oct. 23, 2014 issue
- Muskego boys volleyball team captures Classic 8 dual-meet championship
- Muskego football team clobbers Mukwonago, earns share of conference title
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 9
- Sport Shorts: Oct. 16, 2014 issue
- Muskego boys soccer team goes 2-0-1, continues its late-season surge
- Arrowhead hands Muskego football team second straight 35-28 defeat
- Muskego boys volleyball squad downs powerful Memorial in three sets
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 8