New Berlin - Two weeks ago, underdog New Berlin West gave undefeated Pewaukee all it could handle in the second-to-last game of the Woodland Conference season. In that game, the Vikings had the ball at the PHS 10-yard line with one minute to play, trailing by three points.
The Vikings were within a single play of handing the Pirates their first loss of the season, but they never made that play and fell by 10.
The rematch brought no such drama, with the Pirates dominating from the word go Friday night en route to a 52-21 victory.
"We ran into a very motivated Pewaukee team," first-year West coach Al Moroder said. "We're still learning who we are and what our culture is and we look to continue to improve."
Taking advantage of a turnover by West on the first possession of the game, the Pirates scored four plays after the David Girmscheid fumble recovery when Ryan Stepanovich found the end zone on a 2-yard run. Jacob Stern's extra-point kick was good and the route was on at 7-0.
The Pirates led, 24-0, at halftime and improved that edge to 38-0 with 7:55 to play in the third period.
West managed back-to-back touchdowns in the third quarter to cut the deficit to 38-14 as the Vikings' Dylan Wiese tossed a 5-yard touchdown to Scott Reichel and then he ran for a 30-yard score.
But the Pirates put the game away by scoring twice more in the fourth quarter.
West closed out the scoring on a 45-yard touchdown run by Wiese with 2:20 to play.
"We didn't play very well the first time we played them and we talked about that all week," said first-year PHS coach Justin Friske. "The guys came out focused tonight right from the start. We made some mistakes last time and West got the lead on us. We didn't let that happen this time around."
"For many of the kids it was their first time in the playoffs," Moroder said. "They were excited about making it and they look forward to next year and we hope to get a little deeper into the playoffs."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Muskego boys cross country team collects medals at Kenosha Tremper Invitational
- Muskego girls tennis team wins invitational, dual meet in busy week
- Muskego girls swimming team opens season with victory in Falcon Funfest
- Muskego football team's defense shines in easy opening victory
- Gridiron Guide: Get to know: Muskego Warriors
- Defense could step forward for Muskego football team this season
- Muskego girls tennis team opens season with victory
- Muskego Impact earns split of four-game week in Land O' Lakes action
- Wagner plays big role for Muskego's Classic 8 champion baseball team
- Muskego baseball team enjoys memorable season