United for Greg night raises $1,700 for stricken player
New Berlin whips South Milwaukee in regional following loss to Crusaders
New Berlin - On a special night themed United for Greg, New Berlin United boys volleyball team dropped a 3-1 decision to Catholic Memorial in a nonconference match Oct. 23 at New Berlin Eisenhower, ending the regular season.
The Crusaders won the match (25-17, 25-18, 20-25, 25-19).
New Berlin United was paced by Mickey Sugar's 33 assists, five kills and four aces. John Collins was the kills leader with 12 and solid contributions were made from junior middle blockers Trent Farrell and Brett Hanson.
But the night was more than just a boys volleyball match.
New Berlin resident Greg Von Rueden was diagnosed in June with bone cancer and has been undergoing chemo treatments since July and recently had the tumor and several inches of leg bone removed surgically.
Von Rueden went to Holy Apostles grade school and played volleyball with several players from both New Berlin United and CMH. He also plays club volleyball with several of these players for the West Allis Lightning Volleyball Club.
The community came out to support the event as the stands were filled with everyone wearing yellow, the color of fundraising T-shirts made by the West Allis Lightning Volleyball Club and Burghardt's Sporting Goods to support Greg.
"Both teams know Greg and his family, and ask anyone, and they will tell you what a great family they are," United coach Jay Szatkowski said. "It was no surprise to see so many supporters. It was a good match that supported a great cause and brought a community out in force to help make a difference."
The event raised $1,700 that went to the Von Rueden family to help with Greg's battle with bone cancer.
The United beat South Milwaukee, 3-1, in regional play on Friday (25-9, 25-21, 24-26, 25-17) and advanced to play second-seeded Racine Horlick on Tuesday. Horlick had a first-round bye.
Collins had 11 kills, Sugar had 39 assists, Matt Zeske had four aces and four digs.
- Tom 'Sky' Skibosh
- Muskego girls track, field team wins three events, captures third in Wisconsin Lutheran Invite
- Dachowski's hot bat helps propel Muskego softball team to three victories
- Muskego's Kotarak flies high as freshman in MSOE track and field
- Muskego girls track team notches top-five finishes at Brookfield East, West Allis Hale meets
- Strong pitching helps boost Muskego softball team to top of Classic 8 Conference standings
- Muskego girls soccer team led by strong veteran defense
- Longtime teammates Wagner, Farner led Muskego boys basketball team to state
- Capes led Muskego boys basketball team out of struggles to state championship game
- Muskego girls basketball team surged back to .500 level in 2015-16 season
- Turnaround for Muskego boys basketball team reached new heights in 2015-16 season