United for Greg night raises $1,700 for stricken player
New Berlin whips South Milwaukee in regional following loss to Crusaders
New Berlin - On a special night themed United for Greg, New Berlin United boys volleyball team dropped a 3-1 decision to Catholic Memorial in a nonconference match Oct. 23 at New Berlin Eisenhower, ending the regular season.
The Crusaders won the match (25-17, 25-18, 20-25, 25-19).
New Berlin United was paced by Mickey Sugar's 33 assists, five kills and four aces. John Collins was the kills leader with 12 and solid contributions were made from junior middle blockers Trent Farrell and Brett Hanson.
But the night was more than just a boys volleyball match.
New Berlin resident Greg Von Rueden was diagnosed in June with bone cancer and has been undergoing chemo treatments since July and recently had the tumor and several inches of leg bone removed surgically.
Von Rueden went to Holy Apostles grade school and played volleyball with several players from both New Berlin United and CMH. He also plays club volleyball with several of these players for the West Allis Lightning Volleyball Club.
The community came out to support the event as the stands were filled with everyone wearing yellow, the color of fundraising T-shirts made by the West Allis Lightning Volleyball Club and Burghardt's Sporting Goods to support Greg.
"Both teams know Greg and his family, and ask anyone, and they will tell you what a great family they are," United coach Jay Szatkowski said. "It was no surprise to see so many supporters. It was a good match that supported a great cause and brought a community out in force to help make a difference."
The event raised $1,700 that went to the Von Rueden family to help with Greg's battle with bone cancer.
The United beat South Milwaukee, 3-1, in regional play on Friday (25-9, 25-21, 24-26, 25-17) and advanced to play second-seeded Racine Horlick on Tuesday. Horlick had a first-round bye.
Collins had 11 kills, Sugar had 39 assists, Matt Zeske had four aces and four digs.
- Tom 'Sky' Skibosh
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sport Shorts: March 5, 2015
- FMOW gymnasts win sectional with season-best score
- Muskego's Brady McFarland places sixth in WIAA state wrestling tournament
- Muskego eighth-grade basketball team goes unbeaten in league play
- Muskego's Stigler places third in breaststroke to key swimmers at state meet
- Sport Shorts: Feb. 26, 2015
- Muskego boys wrap up undisputed Classic 8 Conference basketball championship
- Scholz, Balcerak win conference gymnastics titles for Franklin-Muskego-Oak Creek-Whitnall
- Muskego wrestler Brady McFarland reaches WIAA Division 1 State Meet
- Sport Shorts: Feb. 19, 2015