United for Greg night raises $1,700 for stricken player
New Berlin whips South Milwaukee in regional following loss to Crusaders
New Berlin - On a special night themed United for Greg, New Berlin United boys volleyball team dropped a 3-1 decision to Catholic Memorial in a nonconference match Oct. 23 at New Berlin Eisenhower, ending the regular season.
The Crusaders won the match (25-17, 25-18, 20-25, 25-19).
New Berlin United was paced by Mickey Sugar's 33 assists, five kills and four aces. John Collins was the kills leader with 12 and solid contributions were made from junior middle blockers Trent Farrell and Brett Hanson.
But the night was more than just a boys volleyball match.
New Berlin resident Greg Von Rueden was diagnosed in June with bone cancer and has been undergoing chemo treatments since July and recently had the tumor and several inches of leg bone removed surgically.
Von Rueden went to Holy Apostles grade school and played volleyball with several players from both New Berlin United and CMH. He also plays club volleyball with several of these players for the West Allis Lightning Volleyball Club.
The community came out to support the event as the stands were filled with everyone wearing yellow, the color of fundraising T-shirts made by the West Allis Lightning Volleyball Club and Burghardt's Sporting Goods to support Greg.
"Both teams know Greg and his family, and ask anyone, and they will tell you what a great family they are," United coach Jay Szatkowski said. "It was no surprise to see so many supporters. It was a good match that supported a great cause and brought a community out in force to help make a difference."
The event raised $1,700 that went to the Von Rueden family to help with Greg's battle with bone cancer.
The United beat South Milwaukee, 3-1, in regional play on Friday (25-9, 25-21, 24-26, 25-17) and advanced to play second-seeded Racine Horlick on Tuesday. Horlick had a first-round bye.
Collins had 11 kills, Sugar had 39 assists, Matt Zeske had four aces and four digs.
- Tom 'Sky' Skibosh
- Muskego baseball team sweeps Waukesha West, nears Classic 8 championship
- Muskego's Wagner shines with the stars in both basketball and baseball (1)
- Muskego wins twice, extends lead in Classic 8 Conference baseball race
- Improving pitching backs up big bats for red-hot Muskego baseball team
- Muskego soccer team downed by Divine Savior Holy Angels at state tournament
- Muskego rugby squad falls to Madison Exiles in state playoffs
- Offense leads the way for Muskego baseball team in season's early going
- Muskego girls soccer team secures third straight trip to state tournament
- Muskego Youth Baseball Association helps Wagner with trip to State All-Star Classic
- Muskego's Polivka earns tie for sixth place at WIAA Division 1 State Golf Meet